B & J and Quickdrive - need for neutral

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by paul carey, Aug 27, 2016.

1. paul carey

paul carey New Member

Putting an early B & J three speed behind a brand new quick drive - do I need to convert the reverser to have a neutral?
    Other racers start the car in top with the trans brake on, and only use neutral to tow back after the run? Can you not tow back in gear with a quick drive?

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I have never heard of anyone starting with the transbrake on...Starting the engine with a load on it like that doesn't sound like the hot ticket. Kind of like trying to start a glide clutch with it disengaged and just hoping the brake holds it.

I think you can convert an older reverser for like $500 or so.

3. paul carey

paul carey New Member

Thanks Will
    Sounded a bit sus to me, but my mate is a good racer and does it to save transbrake clutches.
    Can you tow a converter car in gear after the run?

4. GumBGone

GumBGone Member

The older Quickdrive was hydraulic or fluid driven. I fought a problem that would burn up the brake clutches when the pressure built up on a run. It turned out that the apply valve was worn enough to by-pass fluid and apply the brake. The brake is hydraulic so it will not hold the car until it has pressure from the pump. The new version is air operated so it will work. When I would burn up the brake I would start in gear but could not shift to reverse, Had to have a short burnout. The conversion is expensive but worth it.

5. TonyB

TonyB Member

Has anyone got an early transbrake for a quick drive. Mine is broke and need a 12 volt one.

6. GumBGone

GumBGone Member

What do you need. I'm pretty sure I have the stuff left over from when I had mine converted.

7. tonyeben

tonyeben New Member

All it takes to have a neutral in the reverser is to cut the forward hub down .160". Some transmissions may need to use a shorter slide gear as well. Call Mike at B&J and he can help you out.

8. TonyB

TonyB Member

Wow great news I would be interested in any parts you don't want anymore. My email is venomracing@yahoo.co.uk if you can let me know what you have and how much you want please. Tony.

9. TonyB

TonyB Member

10. TonyB

TonyB Member

Does anyone have contact details for GumBGone please.

11. TonyB

TonyB Member