Attention TAFC Teams

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Lawren Jones, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

I have been asked by my local track owner to post a message on Will's site. He is putting together a schedule for 2004 and is considering funding a TAFC only race. He has tried many different groups and prefers FC's.

Date: July 3rd and 4th

The pay-out he is offering is as follows:

8 car field - two qualifying shots

$3000 to win
    $2000 RU
    $1500 Semi
    $1000 to qualify

Total purse $12,000.00

The track is located in Albuquerque New Mexico. It is not NHRA santioned but will be in a couple of months. He will supply an ambulance with certified EMT's. He will provide a pump truck in case of fires.

Whats good:

The track was re-paved last year and is smooth.
    It has a 1/2 mile shut down area.
    The Mexican food here is the best
    Motels are not a problem
    The fans will love you

Whats not so good:

It is a small track and does not have paved pit parking
    It is a desert track and if the winds get up the dust can be a problem
    Clocks only have 60ft,660ft and 1/4 mile readings
    No 660 ft mph

Anyone interested please email me at LAWRU@AOL.COM, or post a reply here on Will's site.

Thanks

[ February 21, 2004, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

2. The Zone

The Zone Member

Lawren, it is a 1/4 track with oonly a 1/4 mile shutdown. All I can say is YIKES!!!! Edmonton's shut down used to be around 1500 ft and 220mph funny cars used to have trouble stopping there.
    Dean Murdoch

3. Lawren Jones

Oops!!! Should of been 1/2 mile. I have changed my original post too.

Thanks Dean.

[ January 18, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

4. Bob Orme

Bob Orme New Member

That'd be something I'd drive down to see Lawren! In fact, I have a sister who lives in Taos who's getting married June 26th, might have to make the week between the two events a New Mexico vacation!

Bob [​IMG]

[ January 18, 2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Bob Orme ]

5. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

I went to Albuq. once back about 10 years ago. Mile high express, Tak's toy and a few others from up her came down. The good thing is the altitude is basically the same, the guys I spoke to said the shut-down in Albuq. was longer than Bandimeres!

6. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Bandimere doesn't have a long shut down. It just appears long because it is up hill. I've been to Albuquerque and its shut down is at least twice as long as Denver. Better not kill the motor there or you might not make it to the turn off.

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

sounds like a good deal then Lawren. It is nice to see the first round payout be at least a grand.

Dean

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

great to see lawren!

i have some very similar races booked here in texas, 8 car tad fields. the first is at lonestar raceway park in sealy texas june 25-26 and the second is august 13-14 at angleton dragway (both 1/8 mile). we have a great line-up in place for the june race in sealy. check it out:

Lee Callaway
    David Wells
    Gene Snow
    Troy Buff
    James Thompson
    Karl Brounkowski
    Nick Copeland
    Chris Ricketts

Friday night, the Low ET shootout, racers participate in an optional qualifying session, with $1000 going to low e.t. of the night. Saturday night has the final qualifying shot which is mandatory (obviously) for all racers. The top 4 qualifiers are paired up for eliminations, running a semifinal round and a final round. money as follows:

$4000 Win
    $2500 R/U
    $1750 Semi
    $1000 Qual 5-8

Great to see some racing venues opening up for alcohol racers with some money! lawren, let me know if you need any help getting racers.

9. David Smith

David Smith Member

Great to see Troy Buff is coming out with his TAD.

10. Lawren Jones

Thanks Will. I have already had some positive emails. Is yours a closed 8 car field (only the 8 cars you have listed are allowed to run) or are you opening it up.

Thanks

[ January 20, 2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i have it closed, i want to be able to guarantee these guys at least $1000. we're trying to keep the run count down, so they can show up on saturday, make one run, and if they dont make the top 4, they made $1000 for one 1/8 mile run.

if i open it up, some of my headliners that are traveling in for this like david wells, i'd hate for him to have a broken belt or something keep him out of the money.

12. Lawren Jones

Will

I'm nervous about that happening too. I worry more about a no show or if a car breaks. What then? I had a car leave me mile high and dry last year and it left a bad taste in the track owners mouth. I am leaning towards a closed field though.

I like your purse. I wish I could get that kind of money.

[ February 21, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]

13. The Zone

The Zone Member

Will, what kind of crowd is the track expecting (or did they get previous, if you put on a race before) for this show. What do they charge for admission?
    Dean

14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Will, about your format. What if a couple of cars break? Doesn't it look bad when fans don't see a Full program. If you open it up, the fans benefit by seeing more cars!

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

scary, to address your comment, i have several teams i can call to fill in for someone if they can't make the show. one of the reasons booking the teams i did, they all are teams that are pretty flush on parts. one of the reasons why i went with the dragster is there is a lot of them in this region if i have a last minute problem. in promoting it is a balancing act of making the racers and the fans happy. fan is most important, but if it isn't something that makes the racers happy, then it isn't going to work. i would love to book more cars, and in the future we may, but this is the biggest purse this track has ever put up for an event. its also the quickest and fastest 8 car show they have ever had too. they are quicker, faster and louder than anything they have had. i think it will be anyone's race, and should provide for alot of 3 second/200 mph side by side runs. as far as cars breaking at the track, only 4 cars make it into eliminations, so if one breaks, we have 4 alternates. shouldn't have a problem with a no show.

dean,
    its going to be a $20 a head show. their biggest crowd has been 2000-2500 range. since this is the biggest race they've had, we're shooting for the attendance record.

16. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Will,

So based on your format a car can come in and make one pass Saturday night, qualify 8th and walk away with $1000? How did you talk the track owner into that? Or did I read your format wrong?

17. Will Hanna

Staff Member

yes you are correct alky fan. the original format did not include the friday night shot. the friday night shot gives the track more gate money without a significant increase in purse. making it optional on the racer makes it up to them. i trust the integrity of the teams i have booked. if i feel like a team gives me a half assed effort, i wont book them again. in regards to selling to the track owner, i'm not interested in putting a show together that racers can't at least come close to breaking even, if not make a little money. smaller tracks have no leverage on the racers to get them to race for no money. this is about putting together a quality show and getting a quality crowd.

18. Lawren Jones

Will

I need your help in finding cars. The first day I posted hear I received several emails but have had only a couple of teams commit.

The track owner called me this morning and is still on the fence because of car count. He is sending his schedule to the printer next week and has asked for an opinion of Go or No Go. At this point I'm just not sure.

If any of you TAFC car owners or drivers are interested in running this program please call me or email me. I know there are teams in Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona. If you are a fan of TAFC racing and you think you might know of a team that would be interested in running tell them about it.

Like Will said, it is hard to get good money at match races these days and this guy is willing to put up $12,000.

505-934-0109
    lawru@aol.com

Thanks

19. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

Lawren,
    This is addition to what we spoke about, correct?
    Jim

20. Lawren Jones

UPDATE: FUNNY CAR SHOOTOUT JULY 3rd - 4th

I have been getting emails asking if this is a done deal or not. I happy to say its a done deal :D .

As of now the race and purse will be as I posted in my original post. It will be a qualifying event. The track owner is working on securing some more sponsor money to add to the purse for the purpose of non qualifying cars. At this point he has not found any but feels confident he will.

If you are interested in running this deal please contact me either by email or by phone.

Thanks

lawru@aol.com
    505-934-0109 cell

track web site - abqdragway.com

[ February 21, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Lawren Jones ]