ATTENTION...B&J USERS

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hemi altered 378, Dec 14, 2004.

1. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

we have been having a problem getting fluid in the air shifter lines. we use the clear plastic lines, and can actually see the fluid coming up the lines going to the shifter. on occasion, it comes out the exhaust port on the shifter when i shift the trans. i put the oversize seals in it, and this helped for a little while but the problem has come back again. i also checked for scratches, and rough spots on the piston and it looks pretty good. i know there is someone out there who has had this problem besides me. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks darren

2. RCFunnycar

RCFunnycar New Member

Give Mike Strasburg a call at B&J he is great to deal with he should be able to help

3. hemi altered 378

RC....i talked to mike.....he told me to check the piston for scratches, and grooves. also told him i had the big o-rings in it. thanks for the input any other ideas?? M TIGGES you ever had this problem? don't you run a b&j ?
    darren

4. DON KANENWISHER

DON KANENWISHER New Member

DO YOU HAVE A VENT IN THE REVERSE CASE ?

5. RCFunnycar

RCFunnycar New Member

That could be !!!

6. Jackie Stidham

Jackie Stidham New Member

Don may have something there. I have a B&J that I still run .It was in the car at Chicago when we went 5.55. It came in the car that I bought from Walt Austin in 1990. Single sprag unit. Never had that problem.
    Jackie

7. hemi altered 378

don,
    yes, i do have a vent in the reverse case. am i not supposed to have one? please enlighten me on this. also, this is a single sprag unit as well. i don't know if that makes a difference or not, but i am open for any suggestions.thanks in advance for the replies they are greatly appreciated.
    darren

8. DON KANENWISHER

DARREN ITS BEEN MY EXPERIANCE THAT ON B&J THAT YOU NEED A BREATHER. YOU MIGHT CHECK AND MAKE SURE IT IS NOT PLUGED UP AND CHECK YOU PISTIONS AND CHECK FOR CRACKS

9. hemi altered 378

don,
    i checked the vent and it is open. i haven't had the time to closely look at the pistons to see if there are cracks, but i will do that next. thanks for the input. does anyone else have any other suggestions while i have this thing apart? how much clearance should i have with NO o-rings on the piston? maybe the piston is worn really bad. i'm just guessing here, but with a racecar anything is possible. thanks again to everyone for the input.
    darren

10. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Just thinking basics...How much fluid are you putting in each unit and what kind of fluid is it?

I run 10-30 Pennzoil in ours, 3/4 of a quart in each 2 speed unit and 1/4 in the reverser. We've been running single sprag units like Jackie and have never had a serious problem...ever.

11. hemi altered 378

randy,
    thanks for the reply.i use 3/4 in each unit, and 1/2 in reverser. i use regular dextron 3 trans fluid. this thing never gave us a problem until recently. thats why i was thinking that maybe the piston is worn. any other ideas....please send 'em my way.
    thanks
    darren

12. DON KANENWISHER

JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT, TAKE A HAND OPERATED VACUM PUMP AND HOOK TO YOUR FITTINGS AND IT SHOULD HOLD 20 IN EASY WITH PISTIONS AND SEALS IN PLACE. ALSO A GOOD WAY TO CHECK DOUBLE BURST PANELS TO SEE IF INNER ONE IS CRACKED