Anyone Tow From the Blower?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

We had loops on the bottom of our door car for towing and strapping down in the trailer. Our car is too low, or the loops were too low, and causes staging problems w/ the beams. We got rid of them, and will find an alternate way of strapping down in the trailer; however, for towing does anyone tow from the motor or blower? Was curious if that was a good idea and where to hook the strap? We don't have a pin going through the roof like alot of promods. Any suggestions?

Josh

2. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

Strap on

i noticed that a lot of pro mods at one of the races we went to were doing that. send me your email and ill send u some pics of the ones i took.

3. ansleev

ansleev Member

we tow from the blower with a tow hook we made mounted to the blower snout where the snout bolts to blower case

4. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

5. badbird

badbird New Member

we tow fron the blower we have a hole in the front of the set back plate we also use the belt guard when we havent used the set back plate
    you have to be carefull as any acute angles can wipe out your barrel valve or throttle cable mount and bear in mind the blower is mounted with ally studs any bad jerks and your tow car and blower may get back to the pit without you

6. wcolantuoni

wcolantuoni Jr. Dragster

I am just going to throw in my two cents, and thats probably all its worth, but wouldnt you be a bit concerned about pulling on the blower that is only being held down with aluminum studs?

7. ansleev

ansleev Member

the 7/16 alum studs have a yield strength of at least 4000 pound each so that is over 32000 lbs total of 8 your pull strap or rope will fail way before the studs ever could do not worry
    thanks

8. badbird

badbird New Member

yeild point may be that high but is that in single shear,
    we used to tie the car the trailer from the same point untill we managed to lift the rear of the blower by pulling down on the front too hard and our strap wasnt that big and diddnt fail befour the blower came loose altough to be fair it was the setback plate screws that failed in the mag manifold,
    its absolutly fine just take some care..
    we are probably gonna go to a push bar now

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

A push bar would be better.

10. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

We tow off the starter bracket, pulling with a cart

11. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Anyone have a close up pic of where they're pulling on the blower? Blower guard would seem a little risky.

12. ibaddlizzard@aol.com

we pull with the blower gaurd and it works fine WELL till we lifted the blower had to resort to the frame tie downs . its just harder to get to for me lol ....Doc:cool:

13. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

scary...Dave

14. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Sorry but no way would we tow off of the motor anywhere, just too much of a risk. Imagine towing down and it catches a fuel hose? Just wouldnt chance that.

Chassis for me everytime, yes its easier on a funny car chassis but surely its worth the time to fit something to pull from chassis or like has been suggested, push them...

15. badbird

badbird New Member

we towed from the blower for 3 years with 0 issues, depends a lot on your tow vehical driver, there is simply nowhere on our chassis that we can get to 3" ground clearance 45" front body overhang, we actuly have a proper towing eye but since we been changing blowers often latley it dont fit them all....

16. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Thats the trouble your car is low and probably no where on the front easy to access. I spose if its fitted right then the load is spread, I'd just be too nervous just incase.

17. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I jammed the brakes one time pulling from the blower and it ripped the strap on one of those retractable tow deals.
    didnt hurt a blower stud

18. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

what happens if your tow car is towing you back and a person for some odd reason steps in front of the race car and you have to hit the brakes hard and your tow car dont see it and he keeps on towing!!!!!Dave

19. badbird

badbird New Member

the blower will beat you to the pit/staging lane!!!! or the fool who steped in front of you is a good catcher and catches your blower befour it hits the floor,Or your strap will break and decapitate the said fool who wasnt looking!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  20. ansleev

ansleev Member

the strap would be above waist level when towing from the blower the fool would have to be blind. tow cart at 5mph car at 5mph with 10 feet between the two that is 7.3 feet per second the car is traveling even a fool can make better decisions than that. now we do tow the car with a golf cart if the driver of car hits the brakes the golf cart does not have enough weight or power for ill effects. I could possible see a difference if you were towing with a truck, but still again the strap or attachments would probably fail first