Anybody make TFX motorplates or have a file?

Discussion in 'Noonan Classifieds' started by RickyBobby, Sep 20, 2017.

1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby New Member

Does anyone out there make motorplates on a waterjet that has a TFX specific file? Looking for a 3/8" , 36" wide (31.5" is actually fine) motorplate with TFX front drive. RJ makes great stuff but they are not very responsive , only telling me their waterjet is very backed up

I'll pay for a file, or gladly just pay to have a 3/8" one made

Any leads appreciated

Thanks

2. AlcoholFan

AlcoholFan Member

Are you looking for a front plate? They differ in height and frame rail width. I make several different front and mid plates I could send you a drawing .

3. 1320metalman

1320metalman Member

1) Lets start w application, (type of car)
    2) Are we talking frt plate only? or mid, also, or gonna need both?

3) If ur gonna need midplate at some point, U gonna need starter mnts on ur mid plate?

4) Is this a brand new car build, or your own car u have had, doing a new retrofit, & changing from 1 eng type to another (i.e. going from bbc to TFX 2000?)

Car type:

F/C?
    Lizzard?
    Door car?

Correct thickness front/ or midplate makes an onboard starter easier if your bell doesnt have provisions.

We build our own, For all, TFX BRAD, BBC, Ect,
    Usually custom to both new cars, and retrofits as well.

( & @ diff thickness based on application)
    Very specific thkness for each app most times.

I realize none of this helps you, cuz u know what u got.
    But helps us try to help you.
    Let us know if we can be of assistance.
    Regards,

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Will send some PM's with info

PJx5x likes this.
  5. 1320metalman

1320metalman Member

To answer your questions, there are some of each, both Yes 's & no's.

( we mount our starters on a tfx 96 or 2000 on the passenger side of the block, down low, not even trying to use the junk built into the reid or jw bell for a starter mnt bolt up,

That doesnt mean u cannot do the drivers side, i suppose??
    The reid, or JW bells will work, as you told us you planned to use a Reid i believe, so i guess we run with that scenario for hypothetical reasoning, for now.
    They (Reid/JW) certify to 30-1 i believe. Thats a Sportsman spec. Like Supergas, Supercomp, not haul tail w/ TFX under your boosting agent of choice, @ least in most cases tfx's arent used in super classes that ive seen, ok, lets move on.

If your running a TFX BLOCK,
    thats prolly big hp, real deal block, designed for over 3000hp. & no provisions what so ever for a starter from AJPE on a 96 or 2000 tfx.

Any REAL SANCTIONING BODY LIKE NHRA,
    Will not accept that 30-1 bell housing cert, as being safe enuff, on a really high powered, boosted or NOS type car in nearly all cases we have heard of, So if you have to go thru an NHRA TYPE TECH INSPECTION TO RACE, problems ahead w the Reid u plan to buy for your TH400.

THEN if you dont have too, or cant afford 6.3 bell stuff, ur choices are limited to USE THE budget type for this which is not legal in most cases, as stated earlier.
    Like the Reid or JW. if thats all you can afford, i suppose, is your call, & it will work, but is it legal for your deal?? if its outlaw stuff, might be ok, but that doesnt make it safe, just useable.
    Your normally gonna require the 6.3 style bell cert. 6.2 is alcohol FC style where 6.3 is pro mod style.

6.3 bells are over 2000+ dollars new, just so you know.

So if your running "local Yocal stuff".
    U might get away with a reid or JW bell,

Now, as for starter mnt on reid or jw bells,
    Yes, reid/jw make a bell to mopar/TH400 as u need.

But a TFX is a top Fuel block , wider than a BAE, "Brad", & many other brands, in most cases, and its pan rail width is about 1.25" more than a BAE, or Stk mopar hemi design.

That makes it more difficult to get the starter pinion gear, close enuff to the flywheel/flexplate teeth, in a location considered anywhere remotely stock location for big blk mopar hemi.
    TFXs are designed for starters to plug into superchargers,
    Like when u lite a Top Fuel Car,
    Not a starter like a Big blk chvy, lol
    We run only 136T -10Pitch flex plates, which when laid over a chevy 168T-12 pitch, is only about .180" smaller in over all diameter, surprisingly, but fact.

So what u end up doing, on the TFX, is mounting the starter, in most cases,
    to the midplate,
    WAY DWN LOW, ABOUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OIL PAN, (WHICH IS ABOUT 7" Tall, IN REAR OF PAN.)

Some people may,
    but we do not machine the tfx block bell webbing out for the starter, nor do I see a good path i think that you can do it that way, & properly.

We also prefer passenger side of blk for starter, do to baffle tray in pan is on drivers side, incase you have to notch pan, which we are usually able to avoid that notch, thankfully,

Putting on drivers side does sometimes gets in the way of your oil pick up line, coming out the bottom rear of the oil pan, & that line is usually a #16 or #20 from pan to external hemi oil pump up frt on drivers side of block, like all bb Chrysler's,

So for us, drivers side, Just dont work as well, but doable still.
    People do it, and it will work.

So find out first if a 30-1 spec bell is gonna pass tech for your tracks, since your leaning that way.
    On top of using a sportman bell, on a prof racing block,
    You will have to do some machining/butchering,
    to the reid/jw bell prolly regardless of drivers or passengers on a tfx, where a Brad, bae, may not have that issue for you. We assume your commitment to the TFX is in place by now, & that mopar to th400 bell more than likely is your choice for a budget build, but again, not the safest.

Ive never seen a case where u could avoid cutting on a bell on passenger side tfx, for starter snout gear to jump out, and engage in flexplate teeth, thats 1 reason why.
    So start there, as too whats legal, whats not, for your deal.

Once u machine on the even the cheapest bellhousing available, It no longer will recertfy later to its orig 30-1 spec.,
    Or other spec, for that matter.

U probably know you cannot just cut up SFI PARTS AND KEEP THEM LEGAL & recert-able.

HOPE this helps get u just a fraction of the way, started on your project??
    Regards

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  6. RickyBobby

RickyBobby New Member

I think the 30.1 stuff is sufficient for our needs. This is a stock style suspension door car on small tires/radials. Will spend most laps in the 4.20 range, nothing crazy

I want to be safe but I'm OK modifying the Reid bell, I think, for our needs. Have read about many cars faster that also modify the block for starter