Any word on Testing

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by heggeracing, Jan 21, 2009.

1. heggeracing

heggeracing New Member

Has anyone heard how the various test sessions are going? Just wondering if anyone has figured out the 94% yet? See you all in Pomona.

2. Creech

Creech Member

More lead What aren't the pistons already like .500 out, so cuttin the fuel your effectively lowering the compression ; right ; so your going to have to lean it out and thats going to speed the burn. Why not, more lead ?

3. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Was Conway doing lic. passes at 94%?
    If so he already ran a 5.34 with a newbie driver.

4. Clutch Maggot

Clutch Maggot New Member

Its all good here at speed world:)

5. heggeracing

heggeracing New Member

Were was Conway testing I heard at FL they were only running 1000FT. Perhaps they tested at more than one race track? A .34 at 94% is impressive.

How many cars are testing at speed world? Any big numbers to report?

6. Clutch Maggot

Clutch Maggot New Member

Niver was the only A fueler so far. He made 2 attempts.about half track then packed it up? Dale Cox is said to be coming tomorrow. Blower car is running great:) The track is good and they let us run whenever we want!

7. D. Palmer

D. Palmer TA/FC

This is from DRC last weekend, air looks like it was really good, does anybody know if this was at 94%?

PALM BEACH, FL, Fla. - Notes from round 2 time trials in Top Alcohol Dragster at the 2009 Pre-Season Testing, Palm Beach Private Test Session listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Left Lane: Khalid Al Balooshi Runs 6.909/112.71, Now #1; Best prior run: 6.768/99.92, Was #1

11:57 a.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 67 degrees, relative humidity 52 percent, barometer 30.35 inches, adjusted altitude 570 feet, track temperature 82 degrees.
    Al Balooshi needs three more runs to complete his TAD license.

Looks like this was another planned half-pass, the chutes out as he passed the 660-foot marker. His incremental times: 60-feet/0.963, 330-feet/2.440, 660-feet/3.676/176.81, 1,000-feet/5.146.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Left Lane: Khalid Al Balooshi Runs 5.402/260.76, Now #1; No Prior Run

2:19 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 70 degrees, relative humidity 49 percent, barometer 30.29 inches, adjusted altitude 881 feet, track temperature 87 degrees.
    The chutes were out a little early and the car was out of the groove in the middle of the run, but this one ought to count toward his license.

Left Lane: Khalid Al Balooshi Runs 5.344/269.73, Now #1; No Prior Run

4:24 p.m. Nice run, straight and smooth - and a track record for the TAD category. According to our sources, he needs one more full pass for his license. However, Kimmelyn Buff-Pesz, who usually drives this car, has been handling the paperwork for Al Balooshi and says this completes his license.

8. Creech

Creech Member

advance

advance the cam. +7 +10 alky cam screams.

9. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

I would assume Conway was doing everything he could to get this guy his license, not testing the new nitro %.

10. Creech

Creech Member

Think you only need to run 6.0 to licence. I would think you'd take the opportunity to test 94%

11. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

When the air is below 1000 ft. you can make 94% work just fine. Don't have any idea what Tom was running in the tank but it is entirely possible it was 93.7%. The question is what will happen above 3000 ft. ?
    Most people really don't realize how sensitive the unblown engine is to altitude changes. When a b;own engine runs at 4000 ft. It will not preform quit as well as at 1000 ft. but will run from A to B. A nitro unblown engine at 4000 ft can do some ugly things.

12. duane shields

duane shields New Member

Duane Shields testing results at 94%

We ran our car at Las Vegas last weekend. The weather was great all weekend. The following are the ET's that we posted as well as the weather for each run. ALL RUNS WERE COMPLETE RUNS--1320 FEET.

1. 5.59 weather 62 degrees corrected 2300
    2. 5.71 weather 67 degrees corrected 2670
    3. 5.81 weather 70 degrees corrected 2950
    Day 2
    4. 5.49 weather 63 degrees corrected 2250
    5. 5.71 weather 70 degrees corrected 2780
    6. 5.71 weather 69 degrees corrected 2690

All runs were at 94.1 on the first run to 93.7-.8 on the others. We tried numerous things to get the car to respond, without results. All runs were without chilling the fuel.

I ran at the same track in November and ran 5.33 one run, 5.38 in the first round. The conditions weren't greatly different. We did not chill our fuel at that race.

I wont say we can't make it work, yet!! But it is very discouraging to have a rule change make such a difference to the performance, and we now have a car that is ultra sensitive to weather. (All 70 degrees of it). We wont test again, at my expense, to find out we are slow. We will change more stuff and go to Pomona to see what it has to hold. By the way, I would not be going to Pomona, had my Dad not died and Tree wanting to go out there and see her friends at the races.

Someone else can ask Mark Niver what he thought of testing. He tested in Speedworld and after that test came back and withdrew from Pomona.

13. heggeracing

heggeracing New Member

Thanks Duane

Duane,

Thank you for taking the time to share your results with us, I can't say I am surprised, but I am sad to hear them just the same... and to think this is one of the top-tier cars/tuners having these kind of problems what hope do the rest of us have. Sounds more and more like Pomona is going to be a blown show. I guess we wil have to wait and see.

I heard Mark Niver was pretty upset as well, with the situation. Once again the new Improved NHRA has s*rewed us again. I originaly got into TAD from sportsman (SG, SC, TC/TD) racing cause I was tired of all the bs at the lower level. I guess nothing changes. NHRA is sure taking all of the fun out this.
    I am thinking NITRO Coupe ADRL is looking better and better everyday. Bubba, Kenny and the guys at the ADRL run a great show and are there for the racers no alterior motives no bs just great racing.

More test bad news:
    Left Lane: Brittany Force Runs 5.623/233.60, Now #1

12:08 p.m. Brittany Force's incremental times: 60ft-0.967 sec., 330ft-2.524, 660ft-3.719/209.23 mph, 1,000ft-4.720. Weather conditions: air temperature 71 degrees, relative humidity 60 percent, barometer 28.88 inches, adjusted altitude 2,693 feet, track temperature 77 degrees.

Right Lane: Brittany Force Runs 5.629/242.54, Now #1; Best prior run: 5.623/233.60, Was #1

4:12 p.m. It's a bracket car - just 0.006 seconds slower than the first run. Brittany Force's incremental times: 60ft-0.985 sec., 330ft-2.547, 660ft-3.744/208.81 mph, 1,000ft-4.744.

Heres a team that has Jerry as a tuner and force money behind them and look at these horrific numbers.

I heard Del Cox was testing his a/fueler this weekend and licensing in a TF car anyone heard how that is going? Congrats to Del by the way on the TF ride I am deinitely jealous. I was planning to license TF myself this year but with the NHRA TF/FC rules change it is going to be damn hard to get someone to let you use there ride. Heh maybe one of the teams who owns a TF car but does not have sponsor for the year.

Doug

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  14. Creech

Creech Member

I know if someones done it and it works I probably wont get an answer but has anyone tried super advancing a cam on a A/FUELER? I put a 288/292 114compcam at +9 in a blown alky bigchief big block chevy geared to go through at 8000. It went the fastest it had ever gone?

15. $candal

$candal New Member

I wouldn't base anything how Jerry Darien's car runs. Back when they first chaged it from 100% to 96%, darien said it couldn't be done. So NHRA changed it back to 98%. That car hasn't run good since Ashley drove it in 2005.

16. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

everyone has done it

Yep, its been done.

Duane,

Sorry to hear your results. Your car has been one of the best running cars over the last several years and now it has been subjected to this..........what a shame.

-L

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  17. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Thanks Jim and Norm!!!

I just got back from a great weekend of testing at SpeedWorld MotorPlex, northwest of Phoenix AZ. I had not been to this track since the late 90's. I want to say thanks to Jim Whiteley and Norm Grimes for putting together a great testing session! The facility welcomed us with open arms (was that Bernie Longjohn from LACR/Palmdale who was running the show?) and the track conditions were great! Our team was able to accomplish all of our testing goals in just 2 days. It was nice to go testing and not be treated like bastard step children by the track operators. Once again, thanks to Jim and Norm and everyone who made this test session happen!

Chris

18. willys33

willys33 new

Thanks Jim and Norm!!!

Chris
    (was that Bernie Longjohn from LACR/Palmdale who was running the show?)
    Yes, he's back. Heard he was working on the track. Look's like I will have to make the race at the end of Feb at SpeedWorld MotorPlex.

Mack

19. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

So if everything is so lovely at Speedworld for your test runs what was the resulting times??????

20. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

I never made a full pass, shutting off at 3.5 - 3.8 seconds on each run. My 330's were in the high 2.3's with the 660's in the mid 3.5 second range. The drive shaft rpm from the computer was typically comparable to a mid to low 5.4 second pass. The 60 ft times, well that is another story. The 60 ft clock had to have been .03-.04 hot as my 60 ft times were anywhere from .880 to .905 :D Whiteley ran .86? something on one of his runs!

I wouldn't call it 'lovely', but it was a good time ;)

chris