Another Barrel Valve question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by rickey, Aug 8, 2016.

1. rickey

rickey Member

If leaving on two step and wide open throttle does the leakage percentage really matter?
    if you have correct fuel flow

2. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Well, NO, not at WOT and 2-step.

3. ozrace

ozrace New Member

Leakage will affect how it idles and the cylinder head temp you leave with, so it does matter.

Will Hanna likes this.
  4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

If you have a flow meter I much prefer to use gpm at idle than leak down percentage, which is not as accurate. There can be a big difference in 72% on my leak down tester and yours.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Let me add a few things here. The correct leak down percentage depends on the set poppet spring pressure of the idle return poppet. In other words if you have 8-9 lbs crack pressure your leak down will be in the 82-84% region but if you have a 20 lb crack pressure then your leak down is going to be in the 76-78% region. The correct way to set the idle of your barrel valve is to set the idle return poppet spring pressure where you want it use a leak down tester to put it in the 80 % region and start up the motor and warm it up and then check the off idle response of the motor by quickly operating the butterfly linkage. If it blubbers it is too rich and if it hesitates then it is too lean. You want a crisp fast off idle response and adjust the linkage to get that. Once obtained then hook up your leak down tester and find out what percent it is and record it so you can always go back and set it again plus you can look at the flow meter data once set for a reference. You can't just pick a percent and say that is what you want you need to adjust it for response.

promodracer likes this.
  6. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

What is the advantage or disadvantage to a higher idle check setting?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

To stop surging at idle especially when using a big pump on a screw blown moter

8. craig moss

craig moss Member

At the end of the day it's what the monster likes not a %. Leak it to a baseline then adjust to what works. Leak% is just a starting point. Just my 2cents. Hope that helps !!