Alcohol diluted oil

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Jul 22, 2009.

1. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

How do you determine when to change oil?

Alcohol diluted oil certainly isn't good, but what indications tell you that it's time to get that oil changed because it has too much alky in it?

2. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Every time i come home i drain and warm on a BBQ to 180 for about 20 minutes. Then it goes back in warm and sits for the next trip.

3. Jordan Pawlick

I change my oil every time then take it to the shop and heat it upfor a cupple of hours till the alcohol is out of the oil and it should look like new when this is done but dont boil it either not good for the oil and then add some lube corpoil aditive to it and run it one more time then throw it out its done with after that

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Any reason not to warm it to 180° right in the oil pan, while the motor is still together?

5. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I like to get it out of the motor to let the moisture out.

6. buckeyehauler

buckeyehauler Member

we have been doing this for a couple months now. We are using a turkey fryer. Seems to work pretty well. You can watch the alcohol bubble out of the oil. It will take lime green Brad Penn and turn it back to dark green in about 15-20 minutes at around 180 degrees. We only boil the alcohol out once and then the next time dumped the oil in the waste oil can. Hope this helps.

Jessie Petro

7. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

oil

we have been doing this for a year now we put it in a old deep fryer i took from the wife warm it to 175 for 30 min then it is like new again no alky or water it has a thermostat on it works like a charm :D

8. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Thats an excellent idea Mike, although now I know why Dale does not come over on Thanksgiving anymore ;)

Gavle

9. GregM784

GregM784 Member

LOL.

I stopped by Wally World and bought a 20qt sauce pan and do it on the BBQ. I've thought of a turkey fryer. Maybe my brothers will turn up missing next time i stop by his house.....hehe

10. SCO1035

SCO1035 New Member

Oil Cooking

This subject has been discussed a couple of times on this board and usually favourably. Does anyone have any objections or sees any problems with re-using the cooked oil?

11. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I've always heard that you just shouldn't boil the heck out of it. I keep mine just above the alky boil point. 180'ish.

12. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

If I remember correctly alky boils at 174*F. Dont do it inside as you will end up being poisoned by the methanol fumes. If you accidentally inhale any fumes, quickly consume some wine, whiskey, beer etc. By drinking liquor you body will process the ethanol and let the methanol pass thru your body without making you sick. Make sure you have good ventilation (breeze) so your alky fumes dont get into the BBQ fire. Any water left over will settle at the bottom and can be discarded. Youll be able to use that oil for quite a while.

13. GregM784

GregM784 Member

148* @ sea level.

Always outside to make sure it is damn well ventalated, and a 10# fire bottle standing by.

14. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

Now Im wondering what boils at 174??? This must be what its like to get old.

15. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Hell, Pig, we are both right. Ethanol is 174, Methanol is 148.

You aren't old yet!

16. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

please please... if y'all are gonna heat your oil to release the alcohol don't use anything with an open flame like a turkey fryer or a BBQ grill

the 20 or 30 qt roasters that you can buy at wal-mart for like $40 are the safest way

liquid fuels can be dangerous... aerosolized(sp)/vaporized/gaseous fuels are extremely bad shit

17. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Good idea Sean.

18. Eric David Bru

Listen to Altered Boy, he is a fire fighter / rescue guy...!

:cool:

19. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

Thanks for verifying that Im not completely senile.

I really like the roaster idea. You could set the heat at whatever temp and you wouldnt have to babysit.

20. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

There is a lot of talk on here about boiling the alcohol out without cooking the oil, but is there anything wrong with just letting it settle over time and taking the clean layer of oil out? The dirt (such that there is in a methanol engine serviced frequently) sinks and the alcohol floats so you can take good oil from the middle. As methanol absorbs water I would think the water comes out with the alcohol.

Is the heating simply to speed this process up so you don't have to sit around waiting for it to settle?