"Airfoil" in hat screw blower and JBR air scoop

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Scotttrod, May 7, 2015.

1. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

I may have a deal worked out on an airfoil to go inside my hat and a JBR front air scoop.

What kind of boost/performance increase and what kind of tune changes are appropriate?

C rotor @ 129, fuel head hemi, etc.

TIA,
    Scott

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Do you know who made the airfoil and what hat it was made for. Most of the airfoils I have seen were made for the short PSI style hat and will not work in a taller hat. On the ones I have seen the airfoil sits directly behind the hat opening aligned to the throttle bar and splits the airflow. Will your combination line up correctly?

3. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Mailbox opening

An individual built the airfoil to line up all the airflow to a JBR Mailbox opening. I my need to do a bit of fitting to get it to work.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have seen one pound of boost from a Cantrell airfoil I would expect you should get around the same. If i. Might suggest adding .5 gpm of fuel for the first run then adjust after you see what difference it made.

5. TOL

TOL Active Member

What would that be worth roughly in terms of HP ?......

6. JimW

JimW Member

Mike,

reading your post, it sound's like boost went up by 1 lb??

Since boost is a measurement of restriction, wouldn't the added lb of boost be going the wrong way to more airflow??

Jim

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Didn't change the cam, valves or heads or anything under the blower. The airfoil is increasing the air going into the blower so therefore more boost

8. JimW

JimW Member

Gotcha, wasn't thinking of it from that angle.......

Jim

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

FYI, A friend of mine once told me if you wanted to have more boost show up on your computer just remove one intake pushrod and make a run. Instant 10 pounds. Your results may vary. Lots of boost doesn't necessarily mean more power.

10. TOL

TOL Active Member

Has anyone tried one of these airfoils back to back (with & without one) to know what sort of ET gains they are worth at around 129 over?

Above I had asked for an approximate HP gain, but maybe asking what ET gains might be an easier way of expressing the same question.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not sure you will see as much ET gain as you will MPH gain. Most cars with screw blowers running 1/8th mile have to pull out so much timing on launch that an increase in power would result in pulling out more timing. After you get all the timing back in then you would see the gain.