AFT Clutch Setup

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by MotorPsycho, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

I'll start with the specs of what we're running:

125" altered around 2000lbs inc driver
    511ci Rodeck Chevy on alky
    BacMan Heads
    1471 Mooneyham standard helix blower @35% over
    SuperMag III zapped by Don Zig
    Enderle 110 fuel pump
    3 speed B&J
    9.5" Strange Toploader with 4.56 gears
    36" Goodyears

we've got a triple plate AFT clutch, 12 stand, 6 finger and are looking for a bit of a baseline really, any advice greatly appreciated

2. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Adam,

Did look for settings, in early days didn't write anything down...

I know when we had it set up we only took 2 thou total per run, its a nice piece.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Call AFT and ask them. They will put you right on the setup.

4. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

We've got the settings for this now, what I want to know is what impact each of the settings has and when you know what to change.

Static pressure and weight on levers I basically understand, though when do you change the static pressure and when do you add weight? I would assume you need to change them both in hand to adjust the lockup curve. Is there any software out there to help track this (much like Jetsize on the Fuel System).

We've also been told to set levers .350" under the hat with the cover set at 1.655" installed height. - what difference does changing these measurements make and when would you do it?

I've not worked on a car running a clutch for a good 10 years now and I wasn't involved in that side of things back then, I would like to try and get my head around it before we start racing.

Cheers

5. badbird

badbird New Member

dont change the hat height or finger height from standard nothing to be gained on our tracks
    what springs do you have?
    Mike Canter has your best solution
    problem with clutches is its a lot to do with what your individual car likes,

6. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

Aye, we have the data from AFT. Not changing heights sound good to me (makes it a lot simpler), just need to figure out when to change static and when to change weights - guess that will come with running the car.

7. badbird

badbird New Member

i think tyre shake will be the decieding factor
    getting it locked up as soon as you can without shaking is a good start

8. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

As you start making more power with the motor, your clutch settings are going to change with it. More power=more clutch. Don't forget to look at track conditions. This is where a log book comes in.
    Start with static. Keep adding static until it shakes. Then back off 1/2 turn until it stops shaking. Now add weight to the fingers until it shakes. Then remove some weight until it stops shaking again.

9. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

That is useful advice, cheers.

* If it shakes straight out the box what would you change first - weight or static? No doubt it varies according to the nature of the shake, we are hoping to have a basic data logger on the car if that is any help. My first thought would be to take the weight down and see what happens.

* When changing weight or static what increments do you work in?

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You should look at your wheel speed at .5 seconds into the run. If it is below 2600 rpm then add more base to get that wheel speed up. Taking out clutch will work but in my opinion will not win races. Right now I am talking about tire shake on the hit and not at the top of first gear. If that wheel speed is not up there then you will shake. You need that wheel speed up at .5 seconds so you get up on the tire. If you are above 2600 rpm at .5 seconds and you are still shaking then you need to look at your tire pressures or if a 4-link where your IC is or how the shock extension adjustment is. The other thing is that you need the right clutch lockup point in first gear, the correct amount of separation at the shift to second gear and to still lockup in high gear. I believe you will find that on high horsepower blown cars that your clutch base needs to be around a set point and this is the same for all clutches and AFT probably put you close on their recommendation. It is something you have to work at to get there and it takes small steps and you will go through tire shake to get there unless you are lucky enough to skip that shake and get it all right the first time. If it was all easy then it wouldn't be fun.:D

11. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Data loggers are essential!! There are too many variables going on to really nail the clutch tune-up without one. The biggest problem I've seen in blown alcohol applications is the balance of static to counterweight.

As Mike said, if your wheel speed isn't up after the hit and the revs come up on the motor because you're driving through the clutch a bit, the counterweight comes in with the revs like a hammer and will put you into shake or blow the tire off all together. You need to start by leaving your launch RPM the same and adjusting the static to get a good baseline. If it shakes immediately at the hit, you might have too much in it. If it goes out 30-60 feet and starts shaking, you probably don't have enough. 60 foot time vs. Engine vs. Driveshaft/Wheel Speed is the true teller of the problem, which makes the data logger indispensible.

Then if you make it off the line in good shape and start running through the clutch, you need to adjust your counter. I don't have much experience with an AFT, so I couldn't begin to tell you what increments you should work in, but the increments also depend on how close the clutch is on the tune-up. With my experience with blown alcohol clutches, 2-3 grams can make a 150+ lbs. of plate load change at 9,000 RPM.

12. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

Cheers Mike/Justin.

125" wheelbase altered with solid mount rear axle, no suspension to worry about. Not looking to set the world on fire, easy 6's with sensible maintenance routine and not too hard on parts would be ideal. Car spec as per the top post.

I think I can get my head around this, especially if I can get the data logger on there.

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have seen tuners that can do it without dataloggers but it is just too hard. It is so much easier to see the clutch and motor rpm graph and the driveshaft graph and to know exactly what is happening. (lol, it hard even then because you still have to understand what you are seeing)
    Good Luck
    Mike

14. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

That's a loaded question. If it shakes at the hit, there could be lots of variables. this is where the download comes in. I've seen many times when the car launches, the driver unknowingly backs off the throttle, result..............shake. This could be because the seatbelts are loose or his reaction is to close the throttle when he releases the clutch. Make sure his seatbelts are tight. Don't let the driver tighten them, they wont be tight enough. He could be creaping up in the seat. Where the shoulder straps come through the seat plays a very important role in holding the driver down in the seat.The flow meter will show the throttle closing. Flow meter are great for making a liar out of drivers.
    The launch RPM could be too high, the counterweight is trying to lock up the clutch. The launch RPM could be too low, the motor isn't making enough power to overcome the clutch.
    Knowing how much big of a change to make comes with experience, ie, a 1/4 turn of static can be the difference between what your clutch graph is showing and what you want it to look like.
    I always try for the most wheel speed I can get at the hit without smoking the tires.

15. A/FUEL392

A/FUEL392 New Member

Data loggers are a must! Got to see where the clutch locks up and RPM is. Something that i could not do without is writing everthing, and i mean everything down and review it often. Get a Kesler Air density Unit so you know what the air is doing and write that down. When you get the clutch right, you will know what to do week to week. I run a Crower and this works for me.

16. TimeMachine

TimeMachine Member

Cheers for all the advice, I know I am asking a loaded question in an area with a lot of variables to play with, just want to make sure I have an idea of where to start looking. I'm planning on having a sensor on the the throttle pedal so I can see if that moves when it shouldn't, and also capture engine RPM and shaft or wheel speed (whatever is easier).

Going to track the weather by the old reliable altimeter/humidity/temperature combo to get a density altitude, and record everything I can .