adrl track full ??

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by td 1471, Aug 9, 2009.

1. td 1471

td 1471 Member

went down to st louis yesterday after noon with tickets and the sign in front the track says full. whats up with that !!

2. CH3N02

CH3N02 New Member

"With traffic backed up on two nearby Interstates, Gateway International Raceway officials reached the decision shortly after 8 p.m. to close its gates to additional spectators for the National Guard ADRL Hardee’s Gateway Drags II. Stay tuned for what tommorow will bring."

3. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

This also happens at LODRS events.

Who says there is no money in Drag Racing....:rolleyes:

4. superquick376r

superquick376r New Member

From what I understand they are giving free admisson tickets to the events and then you pay $10.00 for parking. Time to fill the motorhome? We have an ADRL event in Columbus for Aug 21st,22nd. The word is that they are giving out 40,000 tickets free.

Kevin

5. td 1471

td 1471 Member

what's the point of having tickets if you cant get in. paying for tickets makes more sense to me. might save a two hour drive!

6. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

It was retarded full, but I will say this, the traffic backing up is a ploy. I was there. The traffic was backed up because they funnel the traffic from 4 lanes, to two lanes to one. Then they had no idea how to park everyone. As the lots got full, they would run the whole line of cars through the lots to take spaces after people left. $10 to park on the infield of the roundy round track, $20 to park along the strip. No matter where you parked, you were at least half a mile from the nearest entrance. They said there were 48,000 people there each of the two days, I believe it. But let me say something else.

I saw two cars barrell roll, 3 wreck all together. I saw a 150 degree track with minimal prep and a lot of guys lacking experience running 3,000 hp. cars. I saw a helluva lot of non-credentialed people on the starting line, including people with SMALL kids (1 and 2 year olds) standing right behind the cars under the tower with rock throwing burnouts happening 20 feet straight in front of them. I left after the first round of eliminations because I got tired of watching cars go down the track looking like drift cars. I don't want to say it was horrible, but let's just say I know why the big door-car chassis builders sponsor that series.

It's bittersweet for me, I like the idea and the challenge of the minimal track prep vs. a crap-ton of horsepower on a pretty unstable platform with that amount of horsepower. But the rate of incidents is so high in the series, it's amazing more people haven't been seriously injured or killed. It reminds me of the days of the slingshot dragsters when they would be burning out the whole way down the track on a pass. But is it really necessary with today's technology?

7. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

a friend told me i better get there early if i was goping and that traffic would be backed up and i might not even get in if i didnt go early i dont know how many free tickets there were but a friend of mine had 250 i think aLOT OF THE TEAM OWNERS GET A BUNCH TO GIVE A WAY 48000 thousand fans what a crowd but i missed it moving in to the new house damn any one know how fast the promods went

8. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

There were a couple 3.80 passes, mostly 90's though wiggling the ass end around most of the way. That blown 10.5 car ran a 3.98.

9. Denny Savage

Denny Savage New Member

How about that 3.98 car on 10.5's? Pretty amazing stuff right there, I dont care who ya are.. And Billy Glidden goin 4.0's on the same tire, with a SMALL BLOCK FORD [410"], ONE Four Barrel Carb and 2 Nitrous systems.... Goes .980's in 60ft..

10. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Billy showed me a timeslip with a .957 60 foot in his M/T car from a 10.5 tire test.

11. blownracer/a-fuel

The track had to be pretty descent for a 10.5 car to run 3.98 and for Scruggs to run several 3.7?'s. It may be chassis set up that makes the track look bad.

12. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Don, the tickets are free which explains the Overflow crowds. I think more than anything this explains just how much NHRA has priced families out of Natl. events!:rolleyes:

13. tad2155

tad2155 Member

adrl

why ya think they call it outlaw racing, run what ya brung
    real racing and yes u need safety rules but thats all

GK

14. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

There is nothing free about it. They get you with $10-20 for parking, then you have the greatly overpriced consessions. At least NHRA is up front with the costs.

15. td 1471

td 1471 Member

i dont mind paying 10-20$ for a ticket. we have never bin turned away from a nhra race.

16. PROCOMP1

PROCOMP1 New Member

Being "Fashionably Late" is only cool in Super Comp during time trials or when showing up to an ULTRA-LOUNGE in Vegas after a night of uh.... PLASTIC NAKED MODEL DANCING....:rolleyes:

Show up earlier.... problem solved. :cool:

17. td 1471

td 1471 Member

definitely next time. guess i misunderstood the whole idea of the tickets.

18. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

they are !!!!!!!have you ever had to pay to park outside the track at an nhra event i have and the price of the food at the tracks are insane the adrl seemed to me like a good deal just get there early

hell i think i pay 10.00 to 20.00 dollars to park in a field at indy outside the alky pits where the clark tanks are it used to be 5 bucks and if you got there early i didnt cost nothing BUT I WALK RIGHT IN THE BACK GATE

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  19. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Jim, I've never had to pay to park at a Nat, but I am also usually there by 8 or 9 am. Price of food sucks no matter where you are, you're right. I'm not saying that it was a bad deal, I'm saying they should at least inform you that parking will be $10-20. I showed up before 9 am, waited 30 mins in VERY slow traffic just to get to the girl who tells me "$20 for parking please". It's so packed, that even if you wanted to turn around you couldn't. Then after you pay the $20, you're in VERY slow traffic for another 30 mins waiting to park. Even the "Free Lot" across the street from Gateway behind that truck stop was $10 and they didn't even have the tram going to take you over to the pit gate.

20. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

welcome to the bigger drag racing events every time i have went to a national event to watch i have always had to pay to park indy ,gainsville ,pomona ect.......