A/Fuel will be a new pro class...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Oct 1, 2009.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

..... In the IHRA for 2010. It will be called PRO FUEL. AND WILL BE AN 8 CAR show. NOT AN OPEN SHOW. IT WILL HAVE BOOKED IN CARS, FROM THE INFO I HAVE.
    Winner at each race has the potential to win 7-9k.
    Look the the IHRA announcement shortly
    Dean
    speedzonemagazine.com

2. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Heard a rumor there was an AFD at MIR last weekend? Anyone know who it was?

3. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Afd

are there 8 AFD available or will the TF take off their blowers?

4. The Zone

The Zone Member

Don St Arnaud (from Alberta, long tow) was at MIR last week. It is his first year in the car (brand new) He went a 5.27 277. Less than 10 runs on the car. Ottow is tuning.

Bob did the leg work to get this deal done.

I wuld say it will be real A/Fuel cars. Top Fuel will also be a class so there is no need for them to switch over
    Dean

5. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

Fuel dragster

Bob Otto has spent a lot of time, effort, money and thought trying to put this program together. We would like to thank Bob and we will be behind Bob's efforts 100%.

The pay out to the racer is something every racer must consider and this program has an outstanding dollar return for those who choose to participate.

Thanks Again Bob

Noel & Terry Manton

www.mantonrockerarms.com
    www.mantonpushrods.com

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  6. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

afd

Don ran right in front of us. Very impressive! Bob suggested a possible return to injected nitro funny cars at some point for ihra. (of course all things being the same, the potential racer will be the last to know anything for sure.
    Probably right after the first couple of races.)Good luck and I hope it works out.

7. blownracer/a-fuel

If NHRA won't stop the a-fuel cars from swapping back and forth we would love to run the IHRA with 100% in the tank.

8. tad2155

tad2155 Member

pro fuel

big thanks to Bob lot of hard work, should be a fun arena for the a-fuel cars
    100% and to be welcomed that is a change for the racers:eek: we hope to be a part of the show

In Bama:D

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

danger will rogers..

Just be careful who you get in bed with. Look at what the current IHRA management has done to Alky FC and Nitro FC.

Not to mention if you read on a few of the websites, IHRA national event tracks will have a 'menu' of classes to choose from. Also, there will be no points since everything will be booked in.

That said, if I was an AF owner I'd probably use one of these races to test a few times a year rather than change my whole combo up. I definitely wouldn't put my eggs in their basket as the 'wave of the future'...

10. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Damn Kids!!

Its DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

SHEEESH

Do you remember the name of the TV show?

The star resembles a younger Bob Miner.:D

11. The Zone

The Zone Member

While I agree with you will that the IHRA credibility is really down and what the future holds with them is open to debate, There are positives with this. For starters to see what an a/fuel car could run without restrictions is very intriging.

The A/fuel class has a chance to make decent money. The tracks are better than a good number of divisionals.
    The IHRA does prep a track as good as or possibly better than the NHRA. Their safety safari is better than the divisional series .

As far a being careful who you get in bed with, What has the NHRA done to work with the A/Fuel teams, nothing positive that I can see. There are never any guarantees in life, and this is no different in that aspect.

That being said the A/FC deal there was very unfortunate for sure. The biggest problem with that sanctioning body is the lack of media correspondance with the teams, keeping them in the dark is a piss poor way to work with the teams.
    Unfortunately they put all their eggs in one basket with Evan, and it fell into the toilet

As far as booked in and points etc.
    Motivation has to play a role for racers in my opinion. When you go to a race winning a championship is the ultimate goal.
    The competitive juices can't be their when there is not a holy grail at the end.

But I have heard there will be champions crowned in each class, if there is a payout at the end, I don't know.

Regardless whether or not it is booked in or not (look at the NHRA it is essencially a booked in show) as long as there is a full field its all good

They do crown a world champion in the Monster truck deal and it is booked in.

Whether or not the IHRA will survive and whether or not the A/Fuel deal will be a good one, I don't know, but I do know that there has to be a number of the A/Fuel teams that would love to see what their car could do at 100% and with all the technology available to them at this time.

The talk as well is for A/Fuel funny Car and A/Fuel Pro Mod to be potentially included.
    The A/Fuel Dragster are supposed to be on the schedule at a minimum of 10 races next year.

But there has to be a commitment of racers to make it happen.

I think TAFC will be a part of the series (in some shape) next year as well.

Who knows how it will all play out, be at least this deal makes it a little bit more interesting.

Hey Don how is it going? Are you running again this year.

Dean

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. tad2155

tad2155 Member

pro fuel

nhra already dictates changing of the combinations every year & each time it cost the racers money, the better funded teams always seem 2 figure it out
    2 get the numbers rite back up there, all shuld no by now no gurantees in any racing, at least a-fuel teams will have a venue to race all out & possible
    better return on investment that means a lot, :D just think no mixin fuel
    south beach venue, see what these monsters can do got to be interesting
    and show case even more talent for the tuners:eek:

gk

13. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Time will tell how this washes out. At least it gives some a-fuel teams other options. Just because the show is booked in doesn't mean you are not better compensated for winning! When will the rules be published or should I call Bob Auto?

14. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Hydrometer??????

The first time I went to a National event to watch the a-fuel cars run I saw a guy make a qualifying pass and almost at the hit of the throttle he blew a head gsk. on #1 cyl and had fire shooting out against the back of the roll cage. He ran a 5.4?. Back in the pits I asked the tuner who was putting bondo on the block what % of nitro he was running. He told me that he didn't own a hydrometer. They just poured it from the drum and ran it. And thats the way it was!!!!

15. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

If something is too good to be true. It probably is.

This would be awesome. And beats the heck out of NHRA turning the cars around in the staging lanes two events in a row. At the very least you get to actually run the cars. But what I don't get is who is the potential series sponsor? They couldn't get the alky funny cars a series sponsor. and dragsters are bastard stepchild's everywhere else. so. What gives? The litmus test will be after the first booked in event if a check shows up in your mail afterward. This has the potential to be nothing more thas a booked in free test session.

16. The Zone

The Zone Member

They don't have a sponsor (that I know of) yet, The purses are always paid by the track at Nationals (IHRA and NHRA)
    Plus , likley they will be charged a gate fee like all the other classes in the "I" that is 500-1000 per team when you include crew.
    I was sent all the proposed rules but I have not heard any confirmations other than 100%.

Dean

17. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

This sure would give me a very uneasy feeling going into this
    that group will not tell you anything until the very end
    if it wasnt in writing i would never build another car to only run IHRA
    If it was able to cross back and forth ok but not class specific
    take it form someone who built a new car for just one year with them :mad:

18. ticker

ticker New Member

IHRA didn't charge a entrance fee for pro teams this year.

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

match race

from what i gather this is a 4 run format, two on saturday, two on sunday. the quickest two cars from the first run each day run each other in the 'bonus' round (during the second run of the day). 8 booked in cars.

losers would get $350 a round, winners $750 a round. If you win the bonus round, you get an additional $3000 for that round and $1000 to lose. A team would have potential to win $9000 and minimum of $1500.

Clutch management and traction control would be allowed. 2000 lb minimum. No nitrous.

Money's good, I just wouldn't be wild about the exibition format.

It will be interesting to see who runs the first 4. Reichert went a 5.10/284 on 97%....

20. fuelslut

fuelslut New Member

you can't win if you don't play.