A- Fuel Power

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Bob Holley, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Smokey I don't know where you gather your vast amount of knowlege at but I bet it was not anywhere near where the exhaust burns your eyes.
    What is this nonsense about a fuel motor making all its power the first 600 ft. If thats true then how do you explain the 280 mph speed of the A-Fuel car?
    Get a life.
    Bob Holley

2. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Yes, Bob Holley, maximum power (power defined as torque). Torque is what accelarates a vehicle. By the 1/8 it's producng max torque and it will not produce any more. It will, however continue to gain in speed. The best A/F car can accelerate to 230 mph in the 1/8...just ask Mr. Bradshaw.
    get a life Mr. Holley? How about you getting some knowledge so you can figure out on your own why it continues to gain speed.

3. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Smokey,
    If what you say is true why do the BAD's turn the motors to 10,500 rpm ? To get mor torque ? Think about what you said and the relationship between torque and HP.

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

This could be a good thread if the personal attacks don't rear their ugly heads! [​IMG]

5. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Bob..horsepower is a function of torque x rpm/5252 (a given factor). Therefore as rpm continues to increase, so will the horsepower which will push the car to speeds beyond its max torque capabilities. Unfortunately for the A/F car, it cannot rpm much beyond 6000 rpm so it relies on brute work force to move it. Basically what the class is made up of are two differing types of methods to go fast. One is a torque monster (the A/F car) and they other utilizes horsepower, as a function of torque and rpm (the TAD car).
    Another example would be a 100 hp Harley vs a 100 horsepower 4 cylinder Suzuki sport bike. One uses torque and they other relies on rpm induced horsepower.

6. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Smokey,
    I am trying to learn something here. I thought I knew and understood the principals defineing torque and hp but could you answer me a question?
    At what point in the rpm range do you think the torque curve starts to flaten and the hp continues to climb for both the A-Fuel and BAD's.
    Does not hp define by weight and time?
    A truck engine produces a lot of torque but little hp due to the rpm limitations inherant in the design. I am not trying to annoy you or be a smart ass just trying to learn something here.
    Bob Holley

7. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

8. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Point taken!!!

Bob

9. The Kid

The Kid New Member

Just as another random piece of info:

If a Top alcohol car (Af/d or TAD) held a constant acceleration from one end of the track to the other to run a 5.30 it would go

340 MPH!!!

distance=1/2(initial velocity+final velociy)time
    1320ft.=1/2(0+X)5.30
    498ft/sec= 340mi/h