A/Fuel cars new Class!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Wendland, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Wendland

Wendland Guest

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

Interesting that some people are lobbying for a BOYCOTT, prior to the official release by NHRA of the new rules. I think I will wait and see what the new rules are first.

[ October 14, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

3. Wendland

Wendland Guest

If only you could read the thread.......

4. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

You mean a 75 lb. weight adjustment is causing talks about a boycott? There's always IHRA?

5. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Mr. Scary,

A 421 combo is a 85# adjustment.
    A 451 combo is a 90# adjustment.

It's a lot of weight if you already have 100# bolted to your car. Maximum bolt on weight is 150#, 2260# becomes a little heavy for a dragster chassis. A lot of the racers will have to build smaller motors. This means more money. Some of them just built smaller motors but not small enough. A/Fuel racers are pissed because every time there is a rule change they get penalized twice. Their car slowed down and have to spend more money to build different combo's. They would for once like to see the BAD's spend the money, make their cars unsafe with bolt ons... Does anyone see this side of the story?

A boycott was mentioned by one of the class founders and I said I would post a topic to see what people were thinking. Mostly people have exspressed that they would not be interested and that it would be like pissing in the wind. More than likely so.

6. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Rob, do you think the Fuel guys would mind if next time NHRA changed the Blown rules to 4.0 lbs. per cube?

7. Wendland

Wendland Guest

I think that would pass with the A/Fuel guys. It would make the BAD's spend money though to make their cars light and build different motor combo's. Same thing the a/fuel cars are going to have to do now.....

8. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Perhaps a boycott is just what NHRA needs to push their tolerance level for all the bitching over the edge and finaly tell the "boycotting group" that as a result of the boycott, the rules will now be revised to include only ONE style of car for the class...the category that DIDN'T boycott. Go ahead boys...boycott. More stupid things have NOT been done.

9. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

"They would for once like to see the BAD's spend the money"
    - Rob Wendland

Rob,

Apparently the AFD guys do not pay much attention to what goes on outside of their world. Anyone remember back a few years when the minimum weight for the BAD's was raised to 2,025 and the cubic inch restrictions came about? Anyone remember how many 470 cubic inch cars there were before then? Anyone realize how many cranks, rods and pistons for 470 motors are boat anchors and bitchin' mail box posts now?

Sure a BAD racer can still run 470 cubic inches, but they have to add 5 pounds per cubic inch for every inch over 466. Aren't the AFD guys crying about 5 pounds per cubic inch?

Since that time, most BAD's have migrated to 451 or so cubic inch motors, as this combination seems to be the optimum combination considering that the boost is limited to 2.15 OD. The 466 cubic inch motor will see less boost as the blower is just filling bigger holes.

So, BAD's used to have a weight break of 4.4 pounds per cubic inch. The average car today is 451 cubic inches which would be 1,984, but we have a 2,025 minimum weight, effectively changing the weight break for the BAD's to 4.5 pounds per cubic inch.

Now, for the next shocker, there are few, if any BAD's at 2,025. The BAD cars are hard on rear end gears and the light weight Strange 9 1/2" gear that most ran to help make the minimum weight would eat up gears at an alarming rate. Now you will see that most BAD's run 10 1/2" rear ends, and accept the added weight.

Do all the AFD guys think that the BAD guys got all these parts for free? Do they think the BAD guys just made these changes and did not have to work to adjust their tune-ups?

Yes, the AFD guys have worked on their tune-up's and combinations, and they are running very well. I congratulate all of them.

But, is it right to allow the AFD car to run away from the BAD, while there are significant restrictions on the BAD?

Most of us on this side of the fence have tried to talk with you guys about what could be done to correct the situation, and for the most part we got nothing but name calling and "the writing is on the wall" type of statements. There are a couple of AFD guys that I respect that have said that yes, something needed to be done, they did not know what it was, but they did say something should be done.

10. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Smokey,

It was just comment open for dicussion. Take it easy.....By the way, be careful who you call "Boys". Some of those guys might take it personally. ;) I don't feel or have seen that anyone really is serious about that so comments toward that should be taken in a fashion very lightly....

11. The Zone

The Zone Member

Scott, here is the question that I have with regards to BAD's , You have stated for over a year that there are all these restrictions on the BAD's. Well, why is it when new rules are talked about, and some of the possibilities are new gizmo, clutch management lighter weight cars, you say you don't want them because of the cost. You can't have no restrictions without cost.

Dean

12. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Dean,

In any discussions that I have had regarding the possibility of new rules, the gizmo and other things were always included. The problem is that the gizmo carries a hefty price tag along with it. When considering the cost, and figuring that the cost would have to born by the majority of the racers, it never seemed to be the best choice. I am sure others will argue.

Think back to when the screw blower came out. How many BAD's were there back then? A bunch more than there are now, that is for sure. What happened to those other racers? There were many that decided they could not, or would not, pay the added cost for the screw blower. They figured that they would continue with the roots blower and do the best they could. Turns out their best was not good enough, and getting knocked up side the head race after race got a little depressing. So, they quit.

Can you see how this same scenario would happen again with another new blower?

Can you see how the same thing is happening between the AFD and the BAD right now?

I spoke with one AFD team and asked them if they thought that any AFD racers would quit if the nitro percentage was decreased, rear end gears changed, weight, etc. I am talking about adjustments just to bring the AFD closer to the BAD, not trying to kill it. They said they did not think so. I am not saying that these guys speak for everyone, but they know what their cars could do.

Now, allow the other blower and see how many of the lesser budgeted BAD racers go away, and yes, they will go away.

Believe me, the selfish side of me started to salivate when talk of the gizmo came up before the last Mission race. I would like to run in the .20's and the mid 270's.

The question is, would that be the best answer?

Rob got my wheels turning with his mini-whipple slushy machine. If I can get some of the details worked out I might be able to come up with a super slurpee machine using discarded PSI's, which I will market to 7-11's across the country. If this thing pans out, I might be able to help my fellow BAD racer off set the cost of a gizmo.

Lastly, For how long have we been hearing about how the AFD's cost next to nothing to run, other than the cost of the chlorine for the hot tub? Most of us BAD racers figure that the AFD's were making a mint running their cars, and they needed to do something with the extra cash. ;)

(The last paragraph is an attempt to lighten things up. The one above it, is deadly serious)

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

how many a/fuel cars are actually dead on their minimum weight or even within a safety zone of 10 lbs? i am sure many of them will not be adding the full amount, rather, it will just make their car closer to minimum weight.

if i was an a/fuel racer, i would be pretty excited about this, given the circumstances. nhra stated they were going to change the rules. so you get a rule change that really won't slow you down much, you can pretty much use your existing tune up and engine combo. lucas, bradshaw, bartone (shields now), gunderson all run 421's. that appears to be the motor of choice in a/f. that would put them right at the 'new' 2100 minimum weight. so most of the top cars won't have to change motor combos. i know there are quite a few 433's out there, and they will get hit with more weight. best of all, you get to keep most of your performance advantage.

of the things that were proposed, weight was definitely the best alternative for the a/fuelers. it will effect them the least. and now people want to bitch? I believe top fuelers minimum weight is like 2200, so 2100 range is probably going to be OK.

oh and rob, you talk about me being a politician...your views have came 360 in less than a week :eek: :D . or are you just the a/fro press secretary echoing the comments of whoever is in charge? lol

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

How many different Psi's have most competitive cars bought in the last ten years. a bunch, wny because each one was a little better that the one before. I did not hear bitching then. If fact I know a bunch of teams that have bought a new "d" blower when they already had a "D". Why Because they wanted the latest and greatest, they did not want to feel they were getting left behind even when Norm said it really was not worth the price. So your argument is not valid Scott. Your team is just as guilty as the rest. But I want to be first in line for a slushy buddy. ;) [​IMG]
    Dean

15. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Dean,

My argument is not valid?!?! Now what am I going to do? Point out a couple of things I guess.

Yes, many teams have bought new blowers that were a little tighter, or a little better, or just because they thought a new one would be better. Keep in mind, we have been trying to make up at least a tenth of a second deficit to the AFD's.

Are the AFD guys paying attention, the BAD guys HAVE been spending money. The question is where does it end, or does it?

Now for the real reason why I feel my argument has some validity.

Lets say right now today, we all have blowers that are the same, or pretty close to it. Now, I go and buy a new one that makes another pound of boost, because I am trying to make sure I have the best of the best, and I can afford to do that. How much better is my car going to run compared to the guy that has his orginal blower? Not really a whole lot better, maybe some, but it is marginal, maybe .01 or .02 better. The guy who still has his original blower is not at much of a deficit. His or her ability to tune their car better, or a reaction time can make up the difference. The bottom line is, you do not have to buy the new blower to race, and be competitive.

Now, we introduce the gizmo, or something along those lines. Now, unless you have one you are toast.

Does that sound any better?

Your slushy will have to wait, I have a few bugs to work out. I fired up the Performance Slushmaster Inc. machine earlier today for a test run and promptly blew the cup right out of my hand. There was about 10 gallons of slushy on the floor before I was able to hit the fuel shut off and got everything stopped.

16. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Scott,
    Good post.
    I like orange. :cool:
    Kim :D

17. was R4K

was R4K Member

Scott- how does the slushy taste with chlorine added? ;)

[ October 15, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

18. The Zone

The Zone Member

Ya but Scott, you all bought the latest and greatest one you have now because you thought it was better. And no complaints. What is the difference if you were to buy the gizmo if it makes you quicker. I see no difference between the two, other that the fact that it is proven that the gizmo is worth .05 -.08 anyway. Worth the price I say. Afterall, you bought a new and improved "D" when it only gave you .01 or .02
    Just asking.

Dean

19. Smokey

Smokey New Member

speedzone...The difference that Scott is trying to get you to see is that with a rule change, the teams would be forced to by the new "gizmo" blower in order to be competitive. As it currently stands it is up to their own discretion whether or not to buy a new current design blower, or camshaft, or what ever.
    Maybe it wouldn't be so hard for you to understand if you actually raced and had to foot the bills.

20. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Smokey hit the nail on the head!