A-fuel bad air tune-up

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ch3no2, Dec 8, 2003.

1. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Just wanted your opinions on this. I have some ideas. I know when the corrected altitude is above 2900 feet or so the performance drops off considerably. This seems to be associated with temperature more than anything. I've seen 20's and 30's in 2900 feet of air when the temp was 80 or 81 but when the temp got to 85 or 86 in roughly 2900 feet of air the car is a nitro turd. The actual corrected altitude was almost identical within a few feet. I understand that as air numbers get higher there is less oxygen per cubic foot and it takes oxygen to ignite nitro, but why is the performance drop off this finicky?

[ December 17, 2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: ch3no2 ]

2. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Anybody have an opinion as to why this is?

3. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

LOL.

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Mitch and Randy, I guess I asked for that. It would be nice to know what your opinion was.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

at the threshold of 84.99 deg F Nitromethane stoichometricly reaches a point where it just won't burn. clutch discs sense this and just dont act right. tires wad up and shake or just dont hook at all. its a very interesting phenomena right up there with the bermuda triangle i tell ya..... :D

Merry Christmas Mitch :cool:

7. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Wow,that's deep. It must cause a fluctuation in the time space continueum. No wonder why they suck when it's hot. I should have known that.

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

ch3:

I think what Mitch is getting at is this...some of the questions asked here go beyond just basic information. Rather than pump you full of sunshine, the board will be silent. Not too long ago someone else asked a basic fuel system. Might as well been asked like this:

What would be a good starting point for my fuel system for my PSI eqipped car. What pump should I run, what should the poppets be set at, how about your nozzle area, what's in the pump loop, what camshaft should I run and where do you set it, and finally...how much transmission should I run with what clutch? Any timers in the system and how should I set them if you do and, oh...do you use a six shooter and what should I do with it. I have such-a-such compression ratio. Is that right?

I think people don't mind helping a little, but their not going to be giving away the family jewels.

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

ok randy,

i dont actually have a funny car with a psi, but hypothetically speaking... :D if i did....

What would be a good starting point for my fuel system for my PSI eqipped car. What pump should I run, what should the poppets be set at, how about your nozzle area, what's in the pump loop, what camshaft should I run and where do you set it, and finally...how much transmission should I run with what clutch? Any timers in the system and how should I set them if you do and, oh...do you use a six shooter and what should I do with it. I have such-a-such compression ratio. Is that right?

:D :D :cool:

10. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I understand where your coming from. It's not like I asked how many degees of timing you need to run and how much to pull out or add with the 6 shooter or what main jet you need. Or what the compression ratio should be. All of which are directly related to a bad air tune-up. I simply asked people why they think a-fuelers fall on there face in bad air. Blown cars don't have this problem because the blower forces enough air into the motor that it compensates for the lack of oxygen. A-fuel cars are totally dependent on the available oxygen. When the amount of oxygen goes down the E/T goes up. At least that's my opinion on this deal.

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Mitch knows the answer, but if he tells you he may have to kill you.

12. RockBottom

RockBottom Jr. Dragster

air + fuel = HP

13. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Thanks for the insight.