8 car field IHRA funny car..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by M Tigges, Nov 22, 2004.

1. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

WOW WHAT A BLOW.

2. JLibby AFC142

JLibby AFC142 double throw-down

This sucks. Just when I started to get siked about next year. They thought they had problems with oil downs before.

3. JLibby AFC142

JLibby AFC142 double throw-down

Qualifying will take 2 years

4. Tim Stevens

Looks like we will all have to purchase a sSECOND trailer just to haul the spare short blocks and blowers!

5. Thurston

Thurston New

I cannot believe this, Tim did you get the same letter from IHRA. Give me a call at the house.

Thanks
    Thurston

6. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

WHY WOULD IHRA SEND A LETTER TO BOB LUPINI ???
    THAT IS A STUNNER !! WHAT PART OF THE IHRA F/C PICTURE COULD WE PLACE HIM IN THAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHY HE GOT A LETTER FROM ......... IHRA OFFICIAL? MAYBE BOB WILL EMAIL ME A COPY OF THAT LETTER AS IT WAS PRESENTED TO HIM AND I WILL FOLLOW UP WITH IT . THERE WAS NO ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE IHRA SITE FOR THIS , BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT ISN'T TRUE . THEY WILL ADVANCE WARN OR ENLIGHTEN THEIR CONTINGENCY OR TRACK SPONSORS OF UP COMING CHANGES , POSSIBLY THATS THE CASE HERE ?? IT SURE DOES NOT FOSTER GROWTH IN THE CLASS OR ENTICE POTENTIAL PARTICIPANTS TO TRAVEL TO AN EVENT.
    IT MAY HAVE THE ADVERSE EFFECT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED TEAMS TO QUALIFY AND LEARN AT A RATE THAT WILL KEEP THEIR COSTS DOWN AND REDUCE THE "KITCHEN SINK" APPROACH WHICH WILL RESULT IN CLEANING DELAYS . I HOPE ITS NOT TRUE ! DISAPPOINTING AND FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST, I HOPE IT WAS A QUESTIONAIRE THAT BOB READ AND NOT A STATEMENT OF FACT .

[ November 22, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Les Mellows ]

7. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

ITS TRUE LES WE GOT A LETTER, TODAY!!!

8. tafc323

tafc323 afc

sorry les we just got yhe letter from ihra also it is from scooter himself. that really puts a huge damper on alot of teams plan on what sanctioning body to run.

9. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

NO BS. I got $125,000 like most of us in my operation. I may have got it because I have a Pro-Mod, A\FC, Pro Stock IHRA Lic.

[ November 22, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

10. aj481x

aj481x Member

and we still remember Polburn smiling and shaking everybody's hand at Rockingham. :confused:

11. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

I am just a yucapuk racer, Les no better no worse than you. What were you infering?

12. Dream Follower

Ok guys here is a question. The money that will not be paid out to 8 qualifiers, will it total the additional purse money, or will it be split between the racers and IHRA?

13. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

The letter states 4 of 12 events did not have 16 car fields.Going to an 8 car field is how they are addressing this problem.

I believe IHRA just does not want to pay the part time,casual racer to fill their 16 car field. Fine, just say so.

Now as still more teams throw in the towel because they have less chance to qualify they will come short of fielding 8 cars. Then they can go to 4 cars.

14. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Most TA and A\FC have day jobs. In NHRA with Div. races you only have to travel so far or you can travel and do Nat. races. I allways had liked IHRA because as a lower buck team I could run 00's and make the bottem half. With out us low buck guys trying to get a sponsor the class would not have many cars at all. Didn't most A\FC start out as low buck guys and in the bottom half? I just could not travel to Canada . That was 3 of the 4 that did not have a full field . I do also think Tx. had only 7 cars but that is just a few miles from Mexco

15. uwarrior

uwarrior Member

I have not gotten my letter yet. so I don't know the full content of what's happening. I think this is great for the top teams, but not for me
    I was sitting on the fence as to where to race next year. I guess the choice was made for me.
    They Slam Dunk Us! I think a poll of the drivers would have been a good idea. What's everybody else feedback?

Paul Weiss

16. aj481x

aj481x Member

Making room for monster trucks ?? :D :D

17. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

Jim, the payout has been increased for the winner and runner-up.
    winner---$10,000
    Runner-up-$5000
    Semi's----$2000
    Qualify---$1750

According to the letter they have bumped up the pro stock payout to be identical through the quarter finals.

[ November 22, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: T.Howell ]

18. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

boy what a kick in the sack
    spending more money than i ever have to build a brand new car, with brand new everything
    :eek: to be told to go home if i cant make the top 8 :mad:
    what a great return on assets this will be
    so much for being a fun deal now

19. uwarrior

uwarrior Member

If the reason was because of shorts fields, let think about it for a minute. Funny car is a Pro Class and you can not race on the winning, you must have a sponsor, of the 4 Pro class, Funny Car get the least amount of television time. How are you going to get a $300,000 sponsor with no Television time? ($300,000 is my estimate for a bare bone budget to run for a Championship)Is television time going to get better for funny car in 2005?

20. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

This really sucks. I put our car together because of the IHRA presence in Western Canada, and to get away from the TAD issues. We admittedly are bottom feeders right now, but we could comfortably qualify 10th or 12th when we're running good. I know we can learn a lot in a year of two, and perhaps qualify in the top 8 somewhere, but for now, I can't afford to pay $800 to get my car and crew into the race when I don't have a chance to get it back.

This is the opposite of growing the sport. Might have to consider a change in classes again, and a move away from IHRA.

Did someone infer in this post that they are going to allow screw blowers (waiting list at Drazy's)?