65+

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by craigwilcox, Nov 21, 2011.

1. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

I called CHP last week, reguarding combos longer than 65'.
    The officier said that during certain times of the year, they do / will allow combos longer than 65'.
    I read on another web site where a race trailer was loaded up and hauled away, where the combo was 65+.

Any ideas on this subject?

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The officer you spoke to doesn't have a clue. There is no length limit based on the California Motorsports Exemption for qualified vehicles.

For the millionth time...

Print this out and keep it in your truck. 99% of the CHP officers don't even know about this...

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/exemptions/motorsports.html

I am 81 feet long and was stopped on the 10 heading back from Phoenix a few years ago. The officers was licking his chops until I produced this. Read the provisions to make sure it applies to your rig. I have a toter and a 53' foot trailer. If you have a motorhome and a tag trailer it does not apply to you.

RG

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Well................... POOP

Looks like I over looked your last 999,999 postings of the cop who didn't know squat about what you posted, that he should know, as you thought all of us have read, what we should know.

Dumb Me

4. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Wow!

Jeez Randy, wrong time of the month for you? A bit snippy. Dave Germain

5. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Salt n' the Wound

Dave........

He probably knows that he'll be at the end of tomorrows table n' have to fight for the turkey leg.
    I can remember when I was young, that the kids around the table would fight for one of the legs. One year I got one, n' what a disapointment. The verbal aggression was certainly less of an effort than being able to have a tender bite without getting poked by the bone shrouds. Not unlike Randy's wonderful personality.

lol

6. wildman

wildman Member

motorhome

The bottom line is, those of us using a 40' motorhome can only use a 20' trailer and be legal. ( in CA that is)

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

A bit snippy? Perhaps. Real snippy would have mean't I would have either not posted the CA DOT link at all or replied by saying "Do a search and find it yourself."

This topic or some version of it gets brought up every 6 months.

Kinda reminds me of this:

Homer Simpson/YouTube

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

CA Dot regs.

Randy, I may jack you around but I do appreciate you posting the regs. I printed them off and they are in my truck. Thank you- Dave Germain

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Hey Dave:

I am amazed at the ignorance of the typical CHP office and officers regarding this issue. I have been to at least four CHP offices back several years ago and have spoken to supposed commercial enforcement officers and none of them have or had a clue. That's why you need to have stuff like this printed and ready to show in your truck. Like I have said, as recent as two years ago I was pulled over by a CHP officer who told me his mission in life was to bust people with rigs like mine. I was more than happy to spoil his fun.

Cheers,

RG

10. FiatRacer

FiatRacer New Member

It seems that this is a phenomenon going on around the country these days. "Law Enforcement" harassing the citizenry under the guise of doing their job! Why in the hell would his "mission in life" be to "bust people" with rigs like yours? The donut grazers, in my opinion, do not want to go tackle a hardened criminal when they can HARASS the common citizen!!

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

They look at it this way. Why chase after the piece of junk dangerous big rigs with bald tires and south of the border plates on them when they can go after rigs like ours knowing that if we get busted we'll actually pay the fines.

12. old school

old school Member

65+ overall tow package

Pa.law is 65 ft . We went to a stacker and motorhome to stay out
    of trouble . Also if you are over 26001lb on your combination you
    will have to have a commercial or non commercial LICENSE to run in pa.

Outher eastern states are starting to inforce the weight regs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. wildman

wildman Member

your combo must be real short. My pusher and 28' trailer was 72'

14. old school

old school Member

pusher 36ft trailer 22ft special order car just fits.

15. Cap Racing

Cap Racing New Member

65 feet and 26001 lb on your combination are the max Federal standards. From what I was told is 26001 lbs is the magic number. As long as you are under 26001 you have nothing to worry about as far as getting forced into a weigh station.

The other thing is if you have a truck and it has a standard bed in it (ie a pickup truck) then you are not suppose to drive into a weigh station in California. The sign even says "no pickups" at the entrance of the weigh stations. I have a 44 foot triple axel goose neck trailer and dually and the reason I stick with that set up is so I don't have to worry as much about getting pulled over.