4 Pole Electric Fuel Log best way to plumb?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sean70ss, Jun 18, 2009.

1. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

I have a 4 pole electric fuel log from electromotion. Where is the best place to plumb the fuel inlet? backside of the bv? a return? should I run a check valve? any ideas would be great!

Sean

2. JRB

JRB Guest

Sean, shoot me an Email or PM. I can help you out.

-Jason

3. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

fuel mgmt

Says you cannot receive any messages?:confused:

Thanks,

Sean

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No poppets because they restrict the flow and change when the fuel pressure changes and are not required. I like them plumbed between the pump and the BV and return to directly to the tank.

5. JRB

JRB Guest

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Let me add something here to what I said earlier so nobody damages their motors. The flow through a jet with a poppet in series is different than not having a poppet in series. So if you have 150 psi fuel pressure and a bypass with 60 jet with a 70 psi poppet then you have a flow of approx 0.73 GPM. Take the guts out of the poppet and now the flow goes up to 1.01 GPM. So if you tuneup had a bypass with a poppet inline before and you put a solenoid on and you take the poppet out then you need to resize your jet to get the same fuel flow. In this case you would have to drop down to a 51 jet to get the same fuel flow without a poppet. :D

7. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

good info mike... but it makes me wonder two things

1-how do you 'figure' (ie is there a formula) the 'poppet effect/factor'?

2-in order to keep it 'apples for apples' could you just leave the poppet in and set the pressure really low? or would this not have the same effect?

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If a poppet is in a bypass line from the main fuel line then it limits the pressure of the fuel flowing through that bypass jet. So if you have 150 psi of fuel in the mainline and you have a poppet set at 70 psi and you put a pressure gauge between the bypass jet and the poppet then it will read 70 psi. Here is the kicker.....the jet only sees the differential pressure which is 80 psi (150 minus 70). So now if you use a solenoid without a poppet the jet will see the whole 150 psi of fuel. If you change from a poppet system to a solenoid without a poppet then you need to re-compute what size jet you now want to use with the new higher fuel pressure to give you the same flow.

9. JRB

JRB Guest

Very good point mike. Most dont realize it till its too late.

I like to use a fuel management more than poppet style high speeds. Usually have 1 poppet style, and 3-4 in a management log. Thats just my preference

10. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

fuel mgmt

I plummed fule mgmt off the main line like Mike said with a tee. So being I am usung the fuel mgmt and lets say I want to pull 1lb of fuel how will that effect my system? Could I also use the fuel mgmt lets say to enrichen the system if needed?

Sean

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not sure about computing pulling pounds of fuel. Normally we talk in Gallons Per Minute (GPM). Any fuel pulled out by a bypass will lean out the motor. If you want to enrichen the system then you would have to have a bypass that is normally on and then turn it off when you want more fuel in the motor. Is this what you mean?

12. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

fuel mgmt

Mike,

Exactly I meant (gpm) 1 gallon of fuel. And lets say if I was using nos I would enrichen the system by closing the valve. make sense?

sean

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, that is correct.