3 speed or 2 speed - blown pro mod

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by kbhemi, Oct 28, 2016.

1. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

I have been running a clutch and a 3 speed lenco for 15 years - looking to change to a lencodrive - roots blown hemi w veney heads - 9000 shift - have gone 4.09 179 in 1/8th car weight now at 2460 - - can I use the 2 speed version and save some weight or do I need to go with a 3 speed version. What can I expect with either - AND is the 2 speed going to be slower and how much?

2. overkill69

overkill69 Member

Finally joining the dark side....keep in mind you can setup as a 3 speed and run a eliminator shaft in one section. By the time you figure the driveshaft and tunnel length the weight is a wash. Plus you can try 2 or 3 speeds.
    Also the lencodrive is the most maintainence of all the converter drives.
    I carry at least 50lbs extra for a Bruno but it's worth it.

3. hydrotherapy

hydrotherapy Member

Run a Lencodrive take it apart once a year and reset all clutch clearence ,change the fluid every 4 races ,and no problems,
    Like the trans brake better in a lencodrive better than the bruno.

4. hines

hines Member

What is the best convertor drive? Sounds like overkill thinks bruno is better than lenco drive.

5. TOL

TOL Active Member

I'll add to this. Can anyone give a compare between a Lencodrive, a Bruno, and a Quickdrive? Pros, cons, etc.....

6. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

Still looking for a 2 vs 3 speed w roots - but am definately interested in the replys so far

Craig Brewster likes this.
  7. hines

hines Member

I have talked to two of the tuner in pdra pro boost and both say stay with the 3 speed. I have a bruno now and trying to decide if i should keep it or change to one of the others. Bruno now offers adjustable pressure going down track and a lockup convertor upgrade

8. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

You didn't mention which Lenco you have been running for 15 years. Pretty sure Lenco drive is CS2 only. Bruno and Quickdrive not so picky ??

9. drew556

drew556 Member

He's running a cs1 now switching to lenco drive would be cs2 so would sell both cs1s and spare parts and buy lenco drive and some new spare parts the biggest question was can you run a two speed with a roots or do you have to have a three speed biggest thing we are looking for is weight savings and reaction times

10. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken isn't the largest ratio 1.62 or 1.68. ? That's gonna be hard to pull for any roots blower. Even 30k billet chf, Janis, billes blower wouldn't pull a ratio Like that. Also you'll end up giving away your cs1 stuff , if you can sell it at all. I've tried 3 times to unload both mine with every ratio they make for cs1. No such luck.

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

what rear gear are you running?

12. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

Will its a 5.29 now - veney heads are the 2.500 alcohol - supposdly the veney heads make more torque - not sure about that though!
    Blower is a K9 Kobelco with DMPE mods for high overdrive - running 40 over now

13. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Wayne, when we switched to a 2 sp from a 3 sp we picked up, BUT we were on 10.5w's and it helped calm the launch down. You'd have to change your rear gear w/ a 3 sp. otherwise your overall 1st gear would be way too much.

I don't have experience w/ lencodrives but hear they cook the transbrake clutches often. I've ran a bruno for years and it works but there are things that need done. I run a quickdrive now, haven't had a chance to run a full pass but have had it apart to look at it and it is far superior to the bruno. The quality is awesome. 4 bolts hold the bottom pan up and no leaks! (my bruno always left it's mark) Everything is o-ringed. They have different output shafts so if you run a fine spline lenco you can bolt your cs1 right up to it!