3 speed going to a 2 speed?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

We run Outlaw 10.5 w/ a blown alky KB526 hemi, 1471 35% over, promag 44, digital 7. Currently have a Bruno/Lenco 3 sp, 1.80 first gear, 4.30 rear gear, shift at 8200, finish line at 7600 @ 150. We loose about 800-900rpm on each shift. We've ran 1.13 60' pulling loads of timing out. We've debated going to a 2 speed, like 1.38 first gear, and putting a 4.56 rear gear in. I know a few promod guys who've went from a 3 to 2 sp and picked way up...not sure if a small tired guy would have the same advantage, but there's guys in our class who do run a 2 speed. Any thoughts?

Josh

2. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

big tire guys are picking up a lot by doing it and curing some of the 1-2 shift tire shake problems i see a promod pick up well over a tenth with it so i will be switching to a two speed over the winter mine is a lencodrive deal so i will deal with snyder but marty chance at neal chance converters knows alot about this changeover also give him a call hes a good guy

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

2spd

Josh we were headed down that road before Tulsa and had a couple guys look at our data while we were there. I don't expect huge gains but I think there is something to it.Our ratios are close to yours and the car was shifting to 2nd way to soon. The convertor was 1-1 and not multiplying and I didn't even have all the timing back in. That shift point is another place to upset the car also.
    I'm sure you talked to Marty Chance already and I agree with his theories. The only guys i've run across that will badmouth the really high ratios are clutch cars.
    I think the setup came from PX screw cars but Marty pointed out that if you're killing timing to control wheelspeed you can probably pull more ratio.
    The only problem I have is to run a 5.0 rear gear i'll have to wind it tight out the back due to slippage. I'll probably go with a 4.86 and see how it turns out.

Mike

4. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Marty is a good guy, he's my mom's brother :cool:

5. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Sounds like you need something like a lock up convertor so a 5.0 rear gear doesn't slip out the back?

PS This is a random thought as I know nothing about this subject:eek:

6. JP

JP Member

Hi guys , are we talking running 1/8 mile right? Not 1/4 with a 2 speed.

7. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

yes i seen a car that if it went down the track it would run a mid 20 end up running low teens by changing to a two speed with the help of marty......... now as with every opinion this is just what i saw from the outside and i may not know all the story but these guys are my buddies and dont think they would tell me a fib but they swear it was the tranny change so i call snyder and he says they are not bsing this deal really works and they have changed their car over to a two speed and this is all eighth mile stuff

8. ansleev

ansleev Member

1.36 to a 1.24 first gear 4.86 to a 5.0 rear