2x chutes

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 560Jim, May 25, 2008.

1. 560Jim

560Jim Member

I am after some advise on changing to a dual parachute setup as we are approaching 200mph and expect to be there during the coming season. At the moment we are using a single Deist (not sure of model/size).
    The car is an early 70`s nitro dragster with a blown alcohol 560 chev and powerglide. 230" wheelbase and weighs 1970 pounds with driver. Our local strip has a very short braking area (approx 1/4 mile) and we are already having difficulties reliably stopping from mid 190`s. We currently pack the chute as per Deist instructions in rubber bands in the pack which takes quite a bit of time and would be happy to find a quicker method as long as it was still 100% reliable . My questions are
    -what is recommended as far as size/make/model ?
    -are some manufacturers chutes easier to pack than others ?
    -are there any brands to steer clear of and for what reason ?
    -is a dual chute setup simply 2 singles or do you reduce the size when you go to 2 ?
    Thanks up front for your help.
    Jim

2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Stroud chutes

Buy yourself two Stroud chutes, no relation, you will need the pro stock chutes. They are designed to be used together, using two comp. chutes for example will result in an opening shock that is to great. Don't ask how I know this, nearly pitched me out of the car. I tried to save a little cash and ordered two comp chutes, stroud, from jegs and they opened to hard. After talking with Bob Stroud he sold me what I needed, stroud chutes are packed in a deployment bag before they are placed on the pack tray making them much eaiser to handle than other brands. You could also get air or spring launchers for the chutes to make them open quicker on short shutdowns. Good luck. Jody Stroud TD 9325

3. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

good one jody we run 2 and we run 215 nice and soft hit ther stroud also we use air to toss them out packing is no prob good on brakes ;) we dont use them:D

4. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

I run a blown altered at the 200 mph mark and have two 14' Deist chutes. I only use one as they are relatively big chutes and have the other one on there for backup in case something goes wrong with the 1st one. I have never had a problem slowing down. I do like the rubber band idea in the Deist chutes. It helps me prevent making an error when packing as they unfold really nice and never hit the ground. It also helps to have the chutes in the correct location so as not to get sucked down by the vacuum behind the car.

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I have the habit of dumping both, just in case one does'nt work, you never know. My car run's 182 in the 1/8 and 225 in the 1/4. If one does not open it's two late to dump the other one by the time you realize what just happened, really important on an 1/8 mile track like we sometimes race on with really short shutdowns. Look at the quality of the Stroud stuff vs. the others, nuff said.

6. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I have one Stroud TAD/PS style chute, black in color, never been used or unpacked from the box it came in. Stroud's stuff is really nice, we run Taylor though; also top of the line stuff!

Brandon Booher

7. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

I run Taylor's chutes because he makes them in purple. The Stroud is a good product, but I like to feel the chutes hit and the Stroud stuff is too soft for me. If you run 1/8 mile a lot get the 12' chutes. 14' chutes don't open well under 200 mph.

8. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

Chutes

I use Stroud also, Bob is a straight shooter, I had to have a suit tailored and he was both fast and very reasonable. His chutes are first class and if they need repair he is fast and very reasonable. His chutes will slow you as quickly as any other make but the initial impact is not near as violent, which I believe is a good thing.

9. 560Jim

560Jim Member

2 x chutes

Thanks for the help guys. Talked to Shroud and have two chutes and launchers on the way.
    Cheers Jim:)

10. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Hoorah for you! Strouds hit so soft it's like the elevator at the Empire State Bldg. They will surprise you at that softness, how fast they stop you. Have trouble at Chicago because, like Jody, I pull them both and most times can't make it to the turn off.