24 vs 48 volt RCD starters

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by chutedragger, Jan 1, 2012.

1. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

Has any one run only 24 volts to their rcd type (aircraft) starter with success?

Have an injected 392, single 44, and a little 11 gallon pump. Would it spin fast enough to pick up the 44? There is very little drag compared to a big fuel motors with big blowers, dual mag, watermelon sized pumps...ect.

24 volts would just make everything so much easier around the program. I have aircraft batteries, chargers ect.

Anybody?

Thanks,

Mike

2. blownapex

blownapex Member

24v

mine starts with 2 16v= 32v
    promod psi c hemi
    115od starting at blower
    compared to you at crank may be slower mostly with 24v
    id tie 3 12 volt batterys together =36v

3. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

Thanks, I am trying to avoid, all the jumper wires, and multiple, big heavy batteries. I have trick little super expensive aircraft batteries, that are postless. I have the 24 volt charger for them. The whole system would be very slick, and very SAFE!!

I have not finished the car.....so just cant go out and try, to see if it will start.

4. tc1216

tc1216 Member

We had a problem with our funny car not starting sometimes, 44 mag. found out that a 44 mag needs 250 RPM to fire. Got an idea one day to run the data recorder while starting the car, Guess what? some of the times it was not getting to 250 rpm. Went to 48 volts from 36 and NEVER had that problem again. Tom.

5. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

Thanks. Dealt with that on my ssi, blown small block. and a msd 12. Samething, fresh springs, or cold oil...the slightest change. Went to 16v on the block starter.

Just dont know how free the injected motor is going to turn. I guess we can only try the 24 volt and see what kind of rpm I get.

Thanks for your help.

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

spend the money get the mini rcd 48v pack you will be glad you did

7. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

voltage

That starter is not meant to be used with that little of voltage. In fact, the RCD starters are much happier at 48 volts or more. That starter is a great starter. Don't put the unnecessary load on the starter by using only 24 volts.

If you are in the market of "mini" style battery packs please give me a call. I have two models. One is my sportsman pack and the other is an all billet "Pro" style pack that a majority of the big NHRA teams use.

Hope this helps,
    Larry
    760-427-5838

8. Peacemaker AFC

Peacemaker AFC New Member

24 volt

We have been using 24 volt for a while now and it has not given me any problems yet. But 36 volt does spin it over faster though. You need to make sure all the connections are tight and stay tight or when you go to spin her over you will have a battery post meltdown.

9. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Call Larry. I've had several different kinds and his are far and away the best

10. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

:)

Thanks for the words, Bryan!

11. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Mr. Miersch
    It might be of benefit to get your websites working.

12. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Yep

Thanks for the advice, Dave!
    -L

13. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

Are the starters, radial piston engine starters? If so from what era or engine. Or are they turbine starter/generators?