24 Volt Wiring

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by H BROWN, Nov 30, 2006.

1. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

Would any one help me solve a wiring question? I am running 2 -12 volt Batteries in series for 24 volts for the starter. I tie into 1- 12 volt side to feed all the electronics and for computer, works great. The question is how do I, or can I, use one kill switch on back of car to kill both 12 volt line and 24 volt line to starter with one switch, or do I need to try to piggy back 2 switches with one kill handle?
    I have a flaming river switch with mag kill.
    Also for extra points, how can I wire batteries to charging lugs outside of car to charge both batteries at same time with one 12v charger? or do I have to seperate both to charge which will require a lot of work to remove deck lid and wing every round when we are lucky to get 30 minutes.thanks for any and all help Howard

2. Witchdoctor

Witchdoctor Member

24 volts

Call Fred 905-384-0675 He helped me. Jon

3. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Use one battery cut off switch to kill the ground to your primary battery.

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

A company called Aircraft Spruce sells a specific battery charger to charge (2) 12 volt batteries series together. A standard 24 volt battery charger will not work.
    Here is there web address www.aircraftspruce.com & do a search for battery chargers

5. mcfly

mcfly New Member

24 Volt Battery

USE A WHEEL CHAIR CHARGER

6. blown375

blown375 New Member

24 volt

The way I wired my car ;I use 2-12v batterys ,off the first battery the -side goes to ground,the + side goes into the cut off switch on the back of the car and then out of the cut off switch to a fuse block to power everything in the car ,then I ran another cable from the+ side of that first battery into a ford truck solenoid wich is activated by the starter button as well as the starter solenoid (12v)and then the cable out of the ford solenoid goes into the - side of the second battery then a cable from the + side of the second battery to the starter.
    Shazzzam 24 volts at the starter only when the start button is pushed and you use one kill switch.and as far as the mag kill I used the new MSD 44 amp mag kill solenoid with the big red button on the dash to power that.
    hope this helps .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  7. blown1020

blown1020 New Member

bolwn 375,where are you mounting the fuse block and ford solenoid,front or rear of car,thanks randall

8. blown1020

blown1020 New Member

another thing,how are you running your charging lugs to charge batteries,thanks again!

9. blown375

blown375 New Member

blown 1020 the fuseblock is up front and the ford solenoid is mounted on the battery box and I charge the batteries seperately.

10. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

switch

i thought that the emergency switch had to be wired thru the hot side of the battery/batteries. i am reading here that some switches are wired thru the negative side of the battery/batteries. which wiring is correct?

11. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Lorenzo...the way you have this wired in your diagram it is only putting out 12 volts....you must wire a pos. to a neg. and then you will have a pos. and neg. left that will go to what ever you are needing for your 24 volts..hope this will help Dave lowe

12. blown375

blown375 New Member

Hey Dave how ya doin ,if you read the top of lorenzos' post he said that its 2 -16 volt batteries so he is putting 16 volts to the starter.

lowcountry you are correct the IHRA rule book states,''the on/off switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and when de-activated shut off all electrical functions in the vehicle" and the NHRA book says about the same except they also include the magneto and placement of the switch.

13. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Hey Rob...good call:D I went and got my glasses:eek: thake care Dave

14. sammy

sammy New Member

blown375
    Connected that way , don't you think when you hit the starter button , the entire system become 24 volts.
    Because connected like that the 2 positive poles have the same voltage
    Sammy

15. JP

JP Member

Lorenzo by wiring in series you will get the 24 volts but you need a 24 volt charger. The only trouble is that sometimes IF the charger is not to full % then the second or most used battery will fall off . Also I never liked the idea of swith in the negative because if the battery got loose it only need to touch on one side to make a big mess. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  16. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

We use the small post on the soleniod to get power which never allows it to become 24 volts.

17. blown375

blown375 New Member

Sammy no it won,t it's just like pulling 12 volts from the center terminal on some of those 3 terminal 16 volt batteries. you will only get 24volts at the + side of the second battery when the solenoid between the two batteries makes contact.
    I use to run rather large german cranes that had a 24 volt system to start the huge v12 diesels and they drew 12 volts off the first battery to power everything else on the crane without the solenoid between the two batteries .The only reason that I used the solenoid between the two is for the cut off .if there is no power to the solenoid the 24 volt end of the system is dead and it is legal with the rules when you flip the cut off everything is dead.