24 volt Battery Cart

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Mac

Mac Member

I'm building a battery cart for my car but need some ideas. I currently run a onboard starter and single Optima 12 volt battery but it has trouble cranking over when cold. I'm wanting to keep the onboard starter and take out the big heavy battery and just use a small motorcycle battery to run the tach,computer and Powergrid and build a battery cart with two Red Top Optimas sending 24 volts to the starter. I was thinking of running a Ford style starter solinoid to join them both so I only have 24 volts when its activated. That way I could use a 12 volt battery charger. Any ideas or wiring diagrams? Should I send 12 volts to the starter solinoid or just run a short jumper at the starter so the starter and solinoid both see 24 volts when the button is pushed avtivating the solonoid on the cart?

2. aort

aort Member

You can do it pretty simple. Get a couple of the quick disconnect battery plugs and make a plug on your car that has a + going to the starter and a - going to the block. Then you simply wire the two batteries in series like the picture, with a plug on it to plug into the car. You can still use a 12v charger with the batteries hooked together without a solenoid. Just hook one battery's + and - up at a time to the charger and it will be fine. Your smaller battery on the car will still engage your starter solenoid like it is now.

[​IMG]

3. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

This is what I did ^^^^^, worked great. I just use a an 18Volt Milwaukee tool battery to run the electrical on the car. Picked up a billet Milwaukee battery mount from Star Racing. Works very well, it runs the solinoid and the 24volt external batts run the starter.

4. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

I've built 24 volt battery packs for many Pro Mod and Outlaw type cars. They come with a charger as well. Feel free to give me a call at 760-427-5838.

Best Regards,
    Larry

5. overkill69

overkill69 Member

battery

we did the same thing. 2 optimas in series. They will start the car for a few events without charging. Might even go a whole season...and we check compression every round. We just charge them indiviually with 12v charger between races. The 24v charger we had always let one battery get low.
    We use a regular 12v CSR starter with 12v to the solenoid and 24v to the big wire.
    Lithium ion small motorcycle battery in the trunk to run electronics.