2014 NHRA new oil/brake line rule

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

What would an offseason be without some sort of new rule? I guess it's good to own a hose company :D

Basically what the new rule says is all the small -3 oil and brake lines have to have "magnetic steel" fittings, and any junctions have to be steel, in other words, no aluminum fittings.

"Small pressurized fittings, elbows, nipples, adapters, tees, etc. in the external oil system that have an inside diameter of 0.375 or less must be constructed of magnetic steel."

The same wording is used for brake lines. Basically that ID is any oil line -6 and smaller.

I was told by Glen Gray there may be additional rules announced for next season around the time of PRI.

I can take care of you on the new fittings. We have a pretty robust line of -3 and -4 hose and fittings. If you happen to need new hard lines made, we can do that as well, or sell you the equipment to bend the line. Give JB a call 843.816.6887 or email him at jb@dragracehose.com

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I wonder who's car broke an aluminum fitting that caused them to take a look at the fittings in the first place?

3. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

My guess is most everyone! Another well thought out rule change ? I used to think this stuff came from Jim Collins, but not this one.
    I'm kind of new at this, only 50+ years of working with AN stuff, and I've NEVER seen or heard of a steel AN fitting, stainless steel yes, JIC steel fittings yes, but I don't think there is a bulkhead steel nut available ?

Is this because some dumbass broke one fitting.........vs the known 100,000's of aluminum fittings out there ? Do they have to be heat treated ?

How about clarification........other than "Magnetic"..........just the fitting ? B-Nut and sleeve ? Passenger car zinc plated dogpoo tube w/ stupid double flare on a tire shaker ?

Retirement is getting lots easier, not having to deal with stupidity! Thanks for the opportunity to vent (both ends)!

Bob Meyer
    Meyer Race Cars / San Diego
    2013 Our 48th Anniversary

4. ITS IN MY BLOOD

So it was you,.!!!! Figures....:D

:p

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

No more small aluminum fittings

I was told that there was a lengthy oil down at one of the western swing national events that spurred this. An alky car had a small line off the discharge side of the oil pump to help oil #5 main. The small aluminum fitting coming out of the pump broke and made a big mess.

6. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

I remember a N/FC a few years ago in AZ that hit the wall over a #3 aluminum elbow that was on the oil pump broke .

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

stainless is a magnetic metal unless it is 303 or 304 then it is not magnetic..303 is a softer more machinable and 304 is harder

8. Bob Meyer

Only 400 series SS is magnetic. There are about 20 common 300 series types, from soft to "harder than Woodpecker lips", all non-magnetic.

To the best of my knowledge, all SS fittings are forged from 17PH4, also non-magnetic.

Bob Meyer

9. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

I am running welded -6 welded fittings on my valve covers,would this be allowed in place of a steel bulk head fitting? Dave

10. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Bob, I work with 17-4 ph every day. It is definitely magnetic. Don't think they make AN nuts out of it though. You can buy earls pre made #3 and 4 hoses pre assembled with nuts, they are made out of some kind of magnetic steel, not sure what it is.

11. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

new rule

I believe the intention of the rule is just fittings that can fail while bearing load. The only big failures that Jim talked about were aluminum fittings screwed into rigid parts that had hoses hanging off them. Add some vibration and tire shake and sha-boom. If somebody gets verification of this, please post it.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Marty

12. Bob Meyer

Ken; oops, you are correct. I would just like to have a solid verification on what their meaning really is (as it never seems to trickle down to the local tech inspectors correctly). I have just spent many hours finishing a four wheel hard line F/C in my normal anal fashion. I will consider it extremely dangerous for Joe Average to cut off all his flares on S.S. or any tube to change an aluminum bulkhead nut and sleeve to even Kryptonite nuts and sleeves, then try to re-flair the ends with inferior equipment or knowledge.

But, alas, I'm old and "invalidated" and hope that severe miscommunication does NOT become another "heat treat" type issue !!!!

Bob Meyer

13. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I agree Bob, it is really hard to do a good job on those.

14. Bob Meyer

Just wondering...........I see absolutely NO mention of a small fitting change in T/F - F/C - P/S or anything else down to Jr. Dragster, is this correct, only alky cars ?

Bob Meyer

15. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

That would be weird

16. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

Would this affect Top Dragster and Top Sportsman?

17. planbmotorsports

Just a heads up I was told at the NHRA booth today at PRI that this rule is going to be retracting this rule and will be releasing this soon.

18. Bob Meyer

Just like Obamacare......

OK, I read it..........still have questions about interpretation.......
    1. 11/26/13 shows fitting change (nothing about B-nuts and sleeves) for ONLY Alky cars.........NO others!
    2. 12/11/13 shows more amendments and above is gone.
    3. 12/16/13 shows more and recants weight change but no mention of fitting change.

Question: are all these to be added, or which end is up ?
    At this rate Brandon will have to go to staging lanes with 50 lb. trailer he can hitch on quickly!:mad:

Bob Meyer

19. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

wtf

After 30 years you would think nothing should surprise me but they have taken "hurry up and wait" to a new level!..Don't worry about it, it's only the alcohol guys. They'll believe anything! Let's wait until they get in the pits and then tell them the new rules! Oh and then we can take the first regional and move it to the last,,,shhhhh don't tell anyone......these guys don't really plan anything.So inspiring!On a reality note, Collins did tell me last fall that the steel fitting rule was coming for anything 1/8 npt because of a oil fitting that broke from tire shake and caused a large clean up.It made sense to me at the time and I am changing just those 4 aluminum fittings to steel.Merry Christmas!