2011 Rules revisions

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

View attachment 2011 NHRA Rule Amendments .com version.pdf

Just got this email this morning. Download the attachment for the revisions. Looks like the main revisions are SFI roll bar padding, approved parachute tether, approved body burst panel tether for FC's, the RF finish line shutoff box, and 1/2" mounting bolts for the chutes.

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Amick race car restraints

Will, I downloaded the rules changes. While I don't have particular exceptions to the changes I do have a problem with the NHRA use of a sole supplier for the body panel tether and the parachute tethers. Some how I am just naturally suspicious of mandated sole source rules. It started with VP for the nitro, then the Electrimotion gear for the safety shutoffs and now the tethers for parts. While I have no problems whatsoever with VP fuels or Electrimotion products I am somewhat suspicious whenever the NHRA orders the racers to use just one product supplied by just one manufacturer. I am sure there isn't anything going on here but it does seem like it could be tempting. Dave Germain

3. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Brake handle????

When have we broke a brake handle ?Does someone have a oversock of 5/16 7075?

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

We bought the Taylor chute tether for Indy, I sure hope that this is legal. I will call NHRA tomorrow and find out what's what, I know several other cars purchased this setup as well.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

5. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

I guess if you have your shroud lines bolted through a bracket and bushing and into your strange front pumpkin style housing, The threads in the housing aren't considered "Self locking nuts"??? then what? A threaded stud with a self locking nut on top of it instead of the head of the bolt? LOL

6. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

To the best of my knowledge ours will be legal.
    DT

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

hi dennis what is the price on it..thanks Dave

8. LUTHER

LUTHER New Member

I cannot view the link?
    Heres the message I get

LUTHER, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

9. Dennis Taylor

Dennis Taylor Authorized Merchant

Price for the secondary parachute mount is $80.00

10. underby6

underby6 Active Member

After talking to NHRA Amick is approved and no others have been submitted for approval. They also said there is no "monopoly" on who can make it, so I question the validity of the above statement.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

11. NitroWilly

NitroWilly New Member

RE: new brake handle rule

A reliable NHRA source told me that a TFD had a handle that bent and jammed itself in the butterfly. Not a good situation. Our Hadman car came with a handle that is thicker than required.

12. kosky racing

handle

If that handle bent like they say better check the material?

13. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Mike; I am trying to look in to it, but have no answer so far.
    To state a rule using aluminum with no stated alloy is not logical and would certainly create some issues down the road from maybe a do-it-yourselfer who just buys a piece of material without knowing what it is or it's capability.

14. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

handle

Bob what is the correct alloy? 6061 T6?

15. Bob Meyer

Bill; remember I'm old, and according to SFI "invalidated" so maybe my 47 years of doing this stuff doesn't mean much anymore, but if it were me and all I could get was 6061-T6, I would use 3/8" min., even if you were sure that's what it is and not 6061-T6 Tooling plate.
    I've used 1/4" 7075-T6 with the grain going the tall direction since 1970 and reused handles out of five barrell rolled cars through the years.
    If a handle bent into the steering wheel as stated above, Mike is almost right by suspecting the material, but I'd also suspect the fabricator's ability!

Bob Meyer
    Meyer Race Cars / San Diego
    2010 Our 45th Anniversary

16. kosky racing

handle

Bob has made all my brake handles for as long as I can remember I find it almost impossible to bend them. If we have to change it the handle will come from Bob.By the way Bob how does it measure .285? Mike

17. Bob Meyer

Mike; don't know, maybe because I touched it, it's getting heavier, just like my belly:D

18. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

So does this mean my 4130 CM tubing handle is no longer legal since it is not made from alum???

19. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

handle

good question..mine is tubing too..

20. Mark Billington

How are you guys finding the Amick parts we need? I looked on an Amick web site and could not see it. Also, any word on Dennis Taylor tether and if it will be legal?