2007 NHRA POWERade Countdown

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

What are everyone's thought on this? Just curious, I'm not very fond of the idea fairly immediately - it's just a bit too different perhaps?

2. alky racer

alky racer New Member

The way I see it the last four races of the year are always fast tracks so thoes that run well in thoes conditions will have the upper hand. I dont think Dixon would of won his two with Lahie under this points standings. They won a lot of races in the heat of summer. I would think the advantage will go to teams like force and shoe.

3. eli

eli Banned

Well, Well, Well, Isn`t that just special !!! Let`s give them even more of an advantige, 3 cars, tons of money, make that 2 tons of money.you go NHRA, And your simpela$$ new rule? :eek: how would you know how many cars they have if they didn`t tell you??? They could be giving some low buck team there used parts just to get data from them. :p :p

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Screw NHRA!!!!!!!
    I'm done with NHRA and there catering to the mega buck teams, sponsors and selling the naming rights to the US Nationals and IRP plus all the other tracks and races.

5. tad2155

tad2155 Member

nhra

its all about money guys, its not about racing it is just a byproduct of a
    money laundering machine, that's not to say there is a few good people
    in the business but very limited

Bama Boys

6. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

Whores do the same kind of things NHRA is doing, and they're looked down on. Perhaps the folks who attend the Big Show races will vote with their wallets and show their displeasure. There are those of us old timers who still call IRP by its' original name, as well as the World Finals. Normally changes are instituted to improve the situation. Was there a problem with the points situation as it was? Wasn't last year in FC an exciting race?? Gotta love those bean counters.
    Henry

7. eli

eli Banned

Yes it`s true, In Italian they are called puttana (male or female) But let`s face it, What do you expect from the rich, How do you think they got all that money and power, They are so crooked when they die and have to be buired they will have to drill a hole so they can screw them into the ground.There times a coming! :p ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  8. eli

eli Banned

Henry, theres only one thing wrong with us old timers, we die and then we cant do $#1t about anything. :( :(

9. DQUES

DQUES Member

This truely is a joke . I hope the fans do speak by not showing up after this comes into effect next season . The lower funded teams who do not make the elite cut and suffer , I hope they take a good look at the ihra series the following year . That is if the ihra doesn't follow suit as they usually do . I saw a response from Evan Knowl on another site which was WTF !. Drag racing is not nascar and it will never be . Good article at competitionplus by John Asher on this .

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  10. Scotty Mac

Scotty Mac TAFC

Ao Eli, la parola e "puttana", capisci?:D :D :p
    Not bad for a Scot!

11. eli

eli Banned

I admit, I cant spell in english or italian, capisaleak?:D

12. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

This new structure will certainly deter lesser funded teams from participating in NHRA events. It was already hard enough to have a shot at the top 8 if you missed some of the early races. Now top 8 is chosen after the first 17 races. Does NHRA really think sponsors and potential sponsors will like this? I can see some sponsors telling racers "we'll back you for the first 17 races and give you more money after that if you make the top 8 ". I can sure see the number of entries severely dropping off as the season rolls along. NASCAR was able to get away with this because they have primetime TV coverage every single week. This is NOT going to gain NHRA any more viewers or fans than they have now. It will be very interesting to hear racer's and teamowner's oppinon of this in the future. On Competitioplus.com Muldowney's already spiken hers. Nothing good and much harm will come from this. I predict, if they don't change their mind by the beginning of the 07 seaosn... they will abort the new structure come 08.
    On another note, while it's great the Springs will held at Norwalk... it's going to be very interesting to see how their weekly sporstamn racers react to it. This is basically my home track and of the racers I know, they aren't happy at all. Many feel jilted. Time will tell.

13. eli

eli Banned

First off, I have to say I`m not a nascar fan, I have watched them on TV, you have to stop comparing nascar and nhra, when you watch nascar on TV you see the front runners about 85% of the time, along with there sponsors name,round and round they go,for up to two hr. the other 15% you see the rest of the pack, and there sponsors name, NHRA, your luckyy if you can tell who's who, and if you can its because you know the car by heart. and you only see them for about 2 to 4 Min. in the time span of a two hr. show. maybe the new rule will give the big boys more TV time???? as if!!:confused:

14. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

eli,
    I fully agree with you about NASCAR and I'm not fan of it (especially so after they began using their current points structure). But I'm obvliously not the one that needs to stop making the comparison (NHRA does) and have, regreably, been forced to with this recent change.

15. Bar's Leaks Clay

Bar's Leaks Clay Jr. Dragster

new system

I have yet to talk to someone who likes the new system. It reminds me of that commercial, "What the h*&$ were they thinking?" I realize most people naturally reject change, but this one is not even close.

16. HEMIdude

HEMIdude New Member

Interesting to note that Competitionplus.com is reporting Evan Knoll has purchased Bader's 25% stake in IHRA and it's been rumoured he's going to double all pro purses. If true it's obvious where all the lesser funded pros will go. Especially those without major sponsorship obligations.

17. mark6052

mark6052 Member

nhra points system

maybe they could improve (?) the points system for choosing a national alcohol champ.say run all divisional races first , the six div champs run the last four nationals, or draw national events out of a hat. national events- screw blowers only,divisional events roots only.lets go wild!

18. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Pro's & Con"s

There are a few good things about the new points system but as I sit here pondering I just can't think of any. NHRA comes up with this after the battle to the wire last year when no one knew who the champion would be in TFFC until the semi final round of the last race!!!!!!
    If you are not one of the top eight after the 17th race you might as well stay home and save your money or run with the other guys.
    This seems like a wonderful opportunity for the other guys to step up and capture some good cars for their events. Where you finish in the top 10 has always been important and a promotional tool for the team owners. Now after 17 races if you are 9th and go on a tear you can't improve your position.
    It seems before NHRA would do something so drastic they would do one of their touted surveys. This is just another autocratic put the sack over your head decesion. It will be interesting to see the reaction from the race teams
    reguarding this new system. I suspect the big money teams will support it and everyone else will not.

19. eli

eli Banned

All they need to do now is put the noose around there neck!

20. yellowbullet

yellowbullet New Member

Hey Eli, Are you the world famous CACA SOTTO AKA Black Bart?