-20 or -16 pickup

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, May 23, 2012.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Looking to buy an oil pan for kb wet sump. Is it okay to have a -16 pickup in the pan and adapt to our -20 line going to the pump?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

a -20 line adapted to a -16 fitting flows as a -16 line. Look at it like the smallest orifice in the complete line is a jet that is restricting the flow. This is a common error made on oil systems.

3. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

But is that okay? Is a -16 enough flow?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It will work but in my opinion it is not enough flow

5. noiraude

noiraude Member

quite interesting thread!:rolleyes:
    hi all!
    is it only about having the same AN fitting size on both the pickup/line and pump inlet or the bigger the fittings(matching the pump inlet),the better?
    to make it clearer,i switched from a KB pump with 2 12AN inlets and a matching pickup to a P&P/RCD pump with a single 16AN inlet and matching pickup,for chassis clearance purposes:did i do wrong?
    sorry to jump into the conversation like that...

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Because a hemi needs high oil pressure and the pump is drawing a lot of oil to be able to pressurize it there needs to be a large pickup system from the tank to the pump. The normal size is a -20. If you have any fittings or adapters that reduce this size then the whole supply system's flow is reduced down to that narrowest orifice. This is the same principle used in the fuel system and jets. That smaller jet orifice reduces the fuel flow down to the size of the jet and not of the diameter of the line.

7. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Josh....
    16 is what we have always ran......i think you will be just fine with that.
    Darren

8. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

So on a Titan pump. The pan has a -20 scavange and the pump to the tank is a -20 as well. But the tank to the pan is a -16. Wouldn't running a -20 from the tank to the pump move the oil too fast. Isn't that why we put restrictors in rocker gear? Does the pump have gears built to accept the flow of a -20. I mean isnt that the problem with a hemi. It pumps all the oil in the motor and can't return it fast enough to the pan ?

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The oil supply has to keep up with the pump or it will have cavitation. It takes a lot of oil to keep up with today's high volume pumps at the rpms we run them at and the oil pressure we use. Just look at the size of your fuel pump inlet hose compared to the outlet hose. The same principle applies.

Last edited: May 23, 2012