2 steps

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Don Onimus, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Not allowed in TAD / TAFC unless it is a converter car. Don Onimus

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is that a question or a statement????? If it is a statement then that is not so. It is now allowed on NHRA TAFC with a clutch or converter. I know Bartone is using one as he first did at Pomona and he used it again at Houston. I don't know about TAD.

3. underby6

underby6 Active Member

"Effective April 13, 2011, Top Alcohol Dragsters and Top Alcohol Funny Cars will not be permitted to have automated rpm-control devices (i.e., two-steps, etc.) during the staging/launching process unless they have a fully automatic transmission with a converter.

The NHRA Competition Committee recently reviewed the original purpose of the rule and determined the intent was for use only on cars with these types of transmissions. The Competition Committee also concluded that the additional costs associated with purchasing, installing and operating these devices was not in the best interest of the class. The 2011 NHRA Rule Amendments located on NHRA.com will be updated to reflect this change.

Also, as a reminder, racers in this class using illegal devices such as auto shifters or traction control will be subject to severe penalties"

I have spoken to NHRA and they are allowed with Lencodrives, they are going to reword it to avoid confusion.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

4. clint thompson

hip hip hooray

wow, I am absolutely amazed that they listened and reacted. Better for the class in the long run in my opinion.

5. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Maybe the inserts will be next???

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So they stopped it for clutch cars. Wow, that was short lived. Must have been tied to the budget in Congress (lol)

7. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I don't see how or why they could outlaw the inserts. As long as you're not modifying the blower case then they should be fine. It would be quite hypocritical to outlaw a blower insert but at the same time approve cylinder heads left and right. If people want to race nostaliga, they have a field for that. I don't have an insert and I understand they'er not cheap, but that's racing..someone always has more money, better parts, and more knowledge.....which makes everyone try harder to beat them and so goes the cycle.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I'll continue to beat the dead horse... Just give us the 125% overdrive back (simple pulley change) and inserts will be a non issue.

RG

9. underby6

underby6 Active Member

The problem with that is with the dragsters we are trying to catch the a/fuel cars. I think the few guys that have ran them show marked improvements right away, although it is only one piece of the puzzle. If the f/c's had 125% and the insert...5.3x's? This would be like someone saying, only BAE5's can compete in alky. The cost of an insert is $1k-$2k I believe depending upon manufacturer. Last time I priced a new set of heads, $10k+. I personally don't see NHRA disallowing inserts for funnies but saying diggers can have them.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

10. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Not really sure why nostaliga has anything to do with this???
    I am voting to try to make this a little more affordable
    1K-2K for something no one is quite sure it works or not
    the original reason we have 92% now
    the cost of this just keeps climbing, one of these days you will look around and not have anyone to race as we wont be able to afford to get there any more...