1st time setting up a Bugcatcher...beginner questions

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SuperComp517, Jul 28, 2013.

1. SuperComp517

SuperComp517 New Member

I know this is well below the knowledge base here but I haven't had much success getting answers on the bracket talk forums.

This is a 1/8 mile drag racing, bracket racing application. 2500# 4 link chassis car with a 406 small block, 11.5:1 CR, currently running 5.90's w/ a single 950HP carb on methanol.

I purchased a teflon stripped BDS 8-71 with a competition manifold and an Enderle Bug catcher. It came with a metering valve and hard lines, but no pills. There are nozzles in the hat. The nozzles are sized front to back: 16, 26, 42,54

I plan on leaving at 4200 rpm and topping out around 7200.

Several questions.

1) One person that I talked to wants me to send him the bug catcher for him to set up. That's fine and I have no problem with that except that I won't be learning how to do it myself and that is 1/2 the fun for me. What exactly do you think that a shop will do that I can't do myself? Set the butterfly airgap? I wanted the nozzles checked and flowed, but the response that I got back was something like..."Shops just want to flow nozzles to justify their big charges." Hmmmm...Don't you want the nozzles to be matched front to back and side to side?

2) Again the current sizes are, front to back..16, 26, 42, 54. What size nozzles and what size bypass pill would you recommend to start off with. I just ordered a 80a-1 pump that was rebuilt at Enderle and has a 7.0 gpm tag

3) Where is a good source of info to start learning about blown inj set ups? I kind of feel like these questions are beneath this boards tech section. I'll get to the TAFC stage in a few years, but this is my starting project.

Thanks for any info that you can offer about my situation

Sam

2. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

I'm no expert but setting the hat is not that difficult and you need to know how to set it yourself anyways.

Good Vibrations has some excellent info, try this LINK for general info and plumbing and here is a LINK for setting the barrel valve leak down.

You need to determine how much overdrive you're going to run on the blower, I personally would start at 1:1 and work from there, just remember more blower overdrive, more fuel.

The nozzle stagger is for adjusting lean/rich cylinders for the setup it was on.

You can use a tool I made for help setting up my blown sbc HERE.

Good luck

3. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

Nobody likes a know it all

heres some good links to some books ive bought. very good and informative. I would buy both the 5000 hp on alky and the fi secrets. you can use the calculators later in life after you get it running. http://racecarbook.com/

also ken lowe in austrailia makes a excellent book from a racers view which is also a good book in a different way http://www.kenlowe.com.au/LFS_book_intro.htm he is in austraila and the book will be about 100 dollars by the time you get it. very good info.

now like a few people have said already, use a good reputable person to set up the system before trying it. you will waste way more time and money trying tricks and asking help from people that don't know poo about fuel injection to get it running right.
    these books give some good info on initial setup, but running the sytem and finding the problems before you use it is worth every penny! use the info in the books to start your tuning program and understand what your doing with the changes first. good luck! ps the only guy I know of that really does know it all is frank manzo, but he doesn't write a book! dan

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. SuperComp517

SuperComp517 New Member

Manzo! I didn't even think of that...I'll send him Reichert or Bartone an email...:p I wish :D

Thanks Fuel and Bandit for the info. That's very helpful.

If you were going to send a hat in to have someone set it up for the first time do you have any contact suggestions for a first timer bracket racing with it?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

5. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

flow me

in the back of those books are many guys who can flow systems. any would be fine. ive heard good things about kobcheck at rage fuel sytstems, fie, gorr, etc.

6. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

7 gal pump run 8 .050's in the hat 070 main jet that should get you close maybe wind it up to 8000

get you comp down to 10.5 to 1 run 30 * timing

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Curious, how did you calculate the pill size without knowing how fast he's spinning the blower?

8. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

......sorry pill nozzle setup for 25 lbs to 30 lbs boost with a good aftermarket iron block should run very low 5's hi 4.90's