18 volts on a MSD system

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by PROMOD63, Feb 24, 2014.

1. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

we are thinking about putting 18 volt batteries in a car and are trying to figure out if the 8973 and the points box will take this much voltage ? we called MSD and they didnt have much imput on the subject

2. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Not surprised about the input. They don't want the liability. But most MSD stuff has listed the voltage operation perimeters. If I remember correctly (statements good for 10 minutes) 20 volts is common upper limits which means 22 volts based on engineering fudge factor of 10%.

Now all these facts are not worth much if it burns up:eek:

Blessings...........Ron Clevenger

3. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

MSD max volts

personally I think you are pushing it ! You can buy 18 - 13v converters which would be a safer option, not sure where you can get them in USA but they must be available

4. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Just a FYI
    On my car which is on a 16v battery, it battery charges at 19.3 volts. The MSD and Dedenbear stuff is all still alive......for a long time.

Blessings.........Ron C

5. sune

sune Member

18 volts

I am curently waiting on my smartwire and racepak system that i order after researching this very subject. I asked numerous people including racepak and msd they all said it would be fine. I plan on using the milwarkee m18 batteries as i was able to find a really nice battery mount for them. I will know if the systems are up for 18 volts shortly after the stuff arrives here. so feel free to pm me or contact me othervise. My system is going to be a msd powergrid controlling the 44 promag with a smartwire feeding it and all other electronics (very few but there are some tho) and the racepak ( v300sd).

6. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

After running my car on 18 for a year or so, lost the green background on the racepak dash.

7. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I use a 14.4v Makita battery, part number BL1430. I couldn't find one in a store, but they're easy to find online. I used 18v for a couple years but kept burning up my digital tach. Haven't had a problem since. Leanders (I think) makes a nice billet mount or this place makes one out of plastic that has worked for me for several years: http://www.afineredgemfg.com/index.htm

8. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I've been running the same setup but on 12v's for the past two years. If I can be of any help, please let me know. The SmartWire is a great box.

9. blownapex

blownapex Member

14-18 volt

will 1 Makita lithium battery run a px car with
    transbrake
    v300
    dash
    lahee rf shutdown
    8973 or powergride
    fuel solenoids
    1 tail light at night

and what does 1 18 volt battery weight

I guess ill have to check total amps with everything on

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  10. sune

sune Member

I am having second thought about using the milwaukee m18 batteries. I just put the voltmeter on one of the batteries. and eventho the battery is suppose to be 18 volt. The voltmeter reads 22 volts on one and 23 on the otehr battery.

Looking thru all racepak and smartwire and powergrid instructions they all say max 20 volts ... The instructions for the iq3 dash says 16 volts...

I guess i have to figure out some else. kinda sucks tho as i found a bitching mount for the m18 batteries :(

i tested the transbrake which is the one component that draws the most current the battery has no issue with it. all the computers would be nothing compeared to the transbrake.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  11. Kramer Metal Fab Inc.

18v

I went through some research to run the 18V lithium Makita deal.
    I bought a voltage converter. sealed/potted, unit in epoxy. Solar Converters in Canada. it is a bit larger than I hoped but not very heavy. more junk to mount on the car etc. but the only solution I could find. They will need amps/volts detail of the items you are powering with the battery.

I had to buy the unit through a US distributor could not buy it direct. cant remember the name of the distributor but I can find it. If you want more detail or info email me.

rusty@kramermetalfab.com

12. overkill69

overkill69 Member

Battery

We use a lith ion sport bike battery. Super light and bulletproof for 2 seasons. We killed a normal motorcycle battery with tire shake but the lith ion seems tougher.
    We've run air throttle ,Bruno and 2 management solenoids at the starting line.

13. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

Transbrakes at 18+ volts

be carefull that you dont hurt the solenoid coils as these are designed for 13v and the more volts you put across them the more power they will consume which results in heat. Say the coil drawrs 2A at 13.2v, this means the coil resistance is 6.6 ohms and it will consume 26.4 watts (heat), if you now put that same coil across 18 v you will consume 49 watts - almost twice the power consumption and resulting heat. Probably OK for short duration but not ideal

14. badfast

badfast Member

We have run the 18v drill battery deal for 3 seasons in the tad. No problems.
    Swap batteries every round.
    V300sd with dash
    Leahy leanout
    Bruno and now quick drive
    Bought our battery deal from Neil and parks.

15. sune

sune Member

What brand of 18v batteries do you run? and what is their actual voltage read with a voltmeter?

16. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I run a small 16 volt lithium motorcycle batt from antigravity batteries. Shows 17 volts fully charged. With 16 volts everything will be fine. Batt only weighs 5 lbs.

17. badfast

badfast Member

We use the Milwaukee lithium ion batteries. 19.6v right off the charger