16 car P/M & P/S fields in IHRA for 09

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Kenneth S, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

From IHRA.com

As IHRA continues its role as the premiere sanctioning body for door-slammer racing, the sanctioning body is putting to rest the rumors surrounding having full 16-car qualified fields in Pro Stock and Pro Modified at every 2009 IHRA Nitro Jam event.

“We took a big step by offering our Pro Stock and Pro Modified teams free car and driver entries as well as three free crew entries, but somehow there has been some mystery surrounding 8 car fields and that is not what we are doing in 2009,” IHRA vice president of racing operations Skooter Peaco said. “We received such positive response to our complimentary car and driver program. If we were to cut the Pro Stock and Pro Mod fields this would be a step backwards.”

“We heard the rumors about us cutting the fields, but that was something that was thrown out several months back in a national track operator meeting as a way of making sense out of event budgets,” Peaco continued. “Everyone involved understands this is a financial situation. After covering millions of dollars of sponsorship monies due our racers that never materialized, we have had to rework our national event models to make sure that no matter what happens, everyone will be paid. Our Pro Stock and Pro Mod classes are the quickest and fastest in drag racing…we want to build these programs, not cut them.”

In 2009 both the Pro Stock and Pro Modified fields will have identical payouts. The event champion will earn $9,000, plus contingency. The runner-up will take home $4,000, plus contingency. Semifinalists will earn $2,000, quarterfinalists $1,500 and first round losers $1,000.

“Based on the 2008 purses there is not a huge difference when you factor in the free entries and crew,” Peaco said. “These are challenging economic times and we’re doing everything we can to help our racers while, at the same time, ensuring a top-notch show for our ticket-buying public.

IHRA officials remain hard at work to put more funding in place for the 2009 Nitro Jam season.

“We have some #1 qualifier sponsors in place and are working with quite a few other companies and manufacturers to build on this thing,” Peaco said. “We’re still seeking class sponsors for Pro Stock and Pro Modified, but I think this announcement will help put the format rumors to rest."

If I were making the decisions I'd do away with P/S, and have 16 car AF/C field instead.

2. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I also see the Boninfante signed on to a bonus contingency for #1 qualifiers in P/S and P/M

3. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

" Our Pro Stock and Pro Mod classes are the quickest and fastest in drag racing…we want to build these programs, not cut them.”

In 2009 both the Pro Stock and Pro Modified fields will have identical payouts. The event champion will earn $9,000, plus contingency. The runner-up will take home $4,000, plus contingency. Semifinalists will earn $2,000, quarterfinalists $1,500 and first round losers $1,000.

“Based on the 2008 purses there is not a huge difference when you factor in the free entries and crew,” Peaco said. “These are challenging economic times and we’re doing everything we can to help our racers while, at the same time, ensuring a top-notch show for our ticket-buying public. "

JUST STATING THE VERY OBVIOUS as follows.

Just to clarify , they are racing for $1000.00 less than 08 , but they get the $360.00 "free admission" .......as Scooter said "we want to build these programs, not cut them.” That sounds like an Oxymoron , yet I believe it is just in FACT, a Moron !!
    I Vote Scooter heads up the Fannie / Mac restructuring .... he has done way too much for us !!

4. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Rumors

wasn't it nice of him to clear up the rumors so quickly?wouldn't want anyone planning 2009 on miss information,or NO OFFICIAL information,,not even thanks for the memories..just ignore AFC, they'll get the hint!
    I feel bad for the guys who spent the extra money late in the year to update their stuff for 09, when they could have spent that money to change to a screw.Congrats to Fred and Mark Tigges who could see the writing on the wall and had the smarts to make the move.Good luck to all on your change, and thanks for the memories. I have had a great time and met a lot of great racers.Hope to see you all at the couple NHRA dates I do just for fun.Sure hope its a good year of matchracing.
    Bill and Matt Naves
    Shooting Star AFC