-16 AN Hose?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BEDNAR1320, Nov 30, 2016.

1. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

My Spitzer dragster has a front mounted fuel tank, the long aluminum hard fuel line has three -16AN hose connections, one at the fuel tank, one midway to the pump and one at the pump. These are plumbed with conventional AN hose and hose ends because the ends of the hard line and the tank have -16 bungs. Recently a 45° swivel hose end started leaking at the swivel with the engine not running, needless to say this could cause a huge problem being on the suction side sucking air. I built a new line and all is well, but I want to prevent this from happening again by switching to hose with hose clamps and hose nipples/barbs instead of AN fittings. My question is does someone know who makes a -16 hose ends with a hose nipple/barb and what flexible fuel hose to use with alcohol? All I can find are the push lock hose ends, but the hose for these fittings in not compatible with alcohol.

Thanks in advance.

2. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Hi Bednar1320,
    Go on the web to McMaster-Carr; you can order what you need from them.
    Joe

3. tad1011

tad1011 Member

you can use silicon hose which we got from mesa hose (brooks brown) McKinney sells a real nice banded clamp. Can you slide the hose over the tubing and double clamp each end? I would think a barb fitting would reduce the diameter of the line. What kind of application is this being used in?

4. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

It's the suction side of the fuel pump

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

RCD makes what you are looking for for their scavenge lines on their oil pumps. If weight is no concern, you can get some boat fuel line, which is pretty heavy duty. Just make sure whatever you get isn't going to collapse.

If you wanted to stay with conventional AN hose, you can get a crimped hose and either figure out which way the fittings need to be clocked or have a straight on one end which will allow you to clock the angled fitting whichever way you need. Another option I sell is the Goodridge smooth bore hose (910 light weight or 810 steel braided) with reusable fitttings. They do not swivel, so you will have no worries about an o-ring leaking.

6. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Thanks Will. I'm at the Snowbirds right now, I'll contact you next week.

7. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

The pump end is straight, other end 45°

8. Torment

Torment Member

I've always used Parker fitting and line, because it's readily available to me. Haven't had any issues I'm aware of.

9. Torment

Torment Member

I do run a stainless spring in the feed line due to the relatively tight radius from surge tank to pump inlet, and my desire for the feed line to stay round.