15% Nitro

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bottomdollar, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bottomdollar

bottomdollar New Member

We are running outlaw class. What tunning changes do we need to run low % of nitro. timmimg,fuel system, clutch set up,blower od. All help will be usefull.
    TFX billet bolck
    Venney Billet heads
    10.6 cr
    Billet Rods
    K9 Superman
    Mag 44 with retard box
    Waterman 18gallon pump
    Crower 3 disc 5191 clutch

thanks willie

2. ITS IN MY BLOOD

1st off you wont notice much only running 15% and you will
    have too much compression @ 10.6 when you get results
    when you get to 25%-30% you can start to expect results
    when running blown nitro , less compression 6.5-7.1
    alky wants compression,..nitro does not,.. i mean its damaging.
    but back to your question,...
    nitro likes to be loaded
    more static and more weight to help pull the motor down
    more timming to ignite it sooner, nitro is a slow burn.
    18 gal pump will work, you will
    need to put more fuel to it though, but with out knowing all
    of your jetting and nozzle sizes and at what rpm ,dont no if its enough,
    this is just a cenerio on what you can expect with changes,
    with all the info on your motor, a tune up can be accesed, like
    stroke, overdrive, head cc,set back blower, piston hieghts,
    nozzle sizes & how many....etc....

Its not much of a response but, 10/10/10
    ........i tried,...hehehehe..Good luck

3. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Willie, send me a PM on this board. I would be willing to discuss this with you. The short answer is it depends,,,;) However it will be related to how close is your Alky tune-up to the edge in regards to what changes you need to make.

Rapid

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

it's in my blood touched on the burn rate of ch3no2 and this will elaborate-
    nitromethane has a high oxygen content (around 52% by mass) it requires less air to combust than conventional gasoline or methanol alone, allowing more fuel to be burnt per unit time. Despite nitromethane having a much a lower energy density (11.2 MJ/kg) than either gasoline (44 MJ/kg)[1] or methanol (22.7 MJ/kg)[2] its addition to the fuel mixture has the net effect of increasing engine output by around 2.3 times compared to gasoline for the same mass of air.

The high heat of vaporization of nitromethane (0.56 MJ/kg) also means that it will absorb substantial engine heat as is vaporizes, providing an invaluable cooling mechanism. Compared to gasoline the laminar flame speed and combustion temperature are higher at 0.5 m/s and 2400°C respectively. Nitromethane can also be used as a mono fuel with a partial burn. This means that power output can be increased by using very rich air fuel mixtures. This is also something that helps prevent detonation, something that is usually a problem when nitromethane is used as a SI engine fuel.

Due to the relatively slow burn rate of nitromethane, very rich fuel mixtures are often not fully ignited and some remaining nitromethane can escape from the exhaust pipe and ignite on contact with atmospheric oxygen, burning with a characteristic yellow flame. Additionally, after sufficient fuel has been combusted to consume all available oxygen, nitromethane can combust in the absence of oxygen, producing hydrogen, which can often be seen burning from the exhaust pipes at night as a bright white flame.
    My opinion is that low niro percentages (below 50%) are a waste of expensive fuel and do little or nothing for performance , but does let you feel that you are running nitro---just my opinion---

5. ITS IN MY BLOOD

yea , ...what r4k said ...?????
    this is why nitro cars usually run 60 degrees
    or even more in the timing.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

paging jeff wilson

jeff wilson told me a couple percent picked up his sand dragster motor a couple hundred hp...

i've heard both. i had an outlaw altered guy tell me one time there wasn't much difference between 10 and 60%.

what all that means if you don't get the tuneup right to harness it, you probably won't run better. i can't help but think you would at very least get 100 hp with nitro...but experience is talking in the posts above this one...

7. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Will, was he trying to get you talked into a MATCH RACE with a "Little" side bet? :rolleyes:

You got to watch those Altered guys. ;) :D

Rapid {I've probably told a few guys similar things when I wanted to get their money street racing back in the day myself} :rolleyes:

8. blown chevy

blown chevy New Member

Randy talk to marriott