12v/24v system for starting

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by greenracing, Feb 19, 2014.

1. greenracing

greenracing Member

All of you self-starters out there that are running 24v starters, what are you using for series/parallel switches, if any? I know you can just run the electronics off of one battery and the starter off the second and not use a series/parallel switch, but that makes it a pain to charge the batteries. I know that CSR's smart-start works well, but is it worth the extra $500 over a big truck series/parallel solenoid? One advantage that I can see to the smart-start is that the solid state switches in it draw less current through the neutral safety switch, but does the heavy-duty solenoid really pull enough to make an issue?

Just thought I'd see what everyones experience and opinions are.

Thanks!

2. skauto

skauto Member

Wire your batteries together and run the csr 24v starter, works great never had a problem. (napa has a cheap 24v 5 amp charger) If your rules allow just jump the car from a 24volt pack and keep a small battery onboard for data logger etc.

3. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I was going to go this route as I thought I may have needed it. I bought the series/parallel switch and never used it. I can start my engine on two 11.5 LBS Braille batteries wired in parallel with 12v. Screw blown BBC with a block mounted 8 year old Chinese chrome starter. Maybe I'm lucky but it works for me. Again, I thought I needed it because everyone else was doing it but it isn't the case for my application.

4. greenracing

greenracing Member

Ok - charging was one concern that you've solved with the 24v charger.

How are you hooking up the master-disconnect switch?

5. skauto

skauto Member

We use the flaming river switch that has the separate mag kill side and the main power we kill the ground side. we also run a separate 24 volt solenoid from the rear close to the batteries to the starter in case of a short then it wont burn the wire all the way to the front

6. greenracing

greenracing Member

SK - sent you a PM to make sure I'm following your correctly...

7. jackattack

jackattack Member

just bought a series parallel switch from a place called Motor City Reman, $125 ,works perfect for me.no way my deal is starting on 12volts,not with a Pro Mag and a tight blower at least!!

8. skauto

skauto Member

Jack,
    i was going to do the same thing but found an easier way to wire the car if you want i can send you a simple wiring diagram,
    Simon

9. jackattack

jackattack Member

send away Simon