12 Volt Vs. 18 Volt power supply

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by frank70, Apr 25, 2019.

1. frank70

frank70 NOSTALGIA DRAGSTER

Could be a dumb question but we are looking at switching from a small 12volt battery to a 18volt set up that uses the Milwaukee power tool battery, my question is will the msd 44amp kill solenoid will take the extra voltage? Rpm performance computer say the computer will be fine, Leahy says shut off will be fine, but can’t get a solid answer from the msd guys on this.

2. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

we have just switched to 18V power tool batteries , we rotate them. Everything is working great

3. GottaGoFaster

GottaGoFaster Member

Couple questions about using a power tool battery (such as the Milwaukee 18v lithium):
    1. What base are you using to make contact with the battery terminals? Been looking for a clean way to do this . . .
    2. (for door car) Any comments about what tech would say if i put this small battery in drivers compartment (pass side kickwell)?

Thanks ITA!

4. frank70

Lucky devil,
    So you guys use the msd kill solenoid for the 44 amp mag with the 18 volts and aren’t having any issues is that correct?

5. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

http://www.starracing.com/MB Precision Battery Holders.html

Not sure on tech, but I’ve seen them there before.

6. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

We are using Makita 18v 5amp Batteries , they actually show 19.2v on the Racepak . Everything is working as it should , in fact I would say the transbrake appears to function better than it did

frank70 likes this.
  7. noslin

noslin New Member

8. blue boat

blue boat New Member

Well for what this is worth , I run a 16 volt with the 44 mag kill switch and never had any problems. Not sure if it’s a big difference with 18 volts compared to 16 but it works good for me with 16. Hope that helps

frank70 likes this.
  9. frank70

Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it, and for the couple that asked call Neil and Parks Race cars to get the battery mount, it is billet and a very nice as is all the N&P Products they sell!!
    Somone posted the link in a reply above!!