1000 Ft. track

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by matt bynum, Jul 16, 2008.

1. matt bynum

matt bynum New Member

after seeing the first 1000 ft race last weekend
    what is everyones opinion on it?

2. scsp390

scsp390 New Member

I have been watching drag racing for over 35 years and I am only 40 years young. To me--It's still good old fashion drag racing. If it's going to make the sport safer I am all for it. Like a lot of the professional racers have said, "I am tired of burying my friends, and I am tired of putting memorial stickers on my race car!" I went to Scott Kalitta's memorial serivace and Eric Medlens funeral. I' be just as happy if I don't have to do that for another 25 years!!!!!

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

honest

I don't know if it was the newness of the 1000' deal or if just did it for me, but it just seemed more exciting to me than normal.

I think part of that can be explained by more close fuel racing. There were a lot of close exciting races. A lot of races go south in that last 1000'.

4. Darvin Martinets

What I saw that made no sense to me was that everybody compained about needing more shoutdown room, but after shorting the track, must everybody, at least 90% of the cars were pulling only one chute. If you payed attention, there was only a hand full of two chutes pulled. Now whats up with that.

5. matt bynum

matt bynum New Member

i think the pulling one chute would probally have a couple factors

i think that the slower speed would play a part in it
    and also the shut down at denver is up hill and pretty long so if they pulled both chutes that they wouldnt be able to make the turn

6. tad2155

tad2155 Member

1000 ft

TAD's
    A-fuel go 100% nitro, unleash the rules on blown combo's

Gettin Close In Bama:D

7. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

After watching the race this weekend it made something very obvious... The Fuel car drivers are not on the chutes in the lights... Many of the cars didn't have the chutes deployed until nearly the 1320 ft mark... Having the 1320 line made this very easy to see this weekend...

They all need to be more conscious of where the finish line is and be on the chutes coming into the lights and not after the lights...

Dan

8. David Christy

David Christy New Member

I do not like the 1000 ft. I will be glad when the safety concerns are taken care of so we can go back 1320 ft. Mike Dunn wrote early this year about being late late on the chutes. It just seems there are a lot of late chutes.

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

So many times we concentrate on the results in an accident. As much time should be dedicated to the cause. I think the money has driven drag racing to where it is today. Something should have been done a long time ago about setting standards for the length of the dragstrip as well as the length and composition of the sand. This said the speed of the cars could have been controled. It has always seemed odd to me that the tech crews never even look at your chutes of check your brakes. Maybe somwhere they check these things but in seven years I have never even had the brake handle pulled by any tech people. Nationals or divisional. Maybe NHRA should mandate you should pull both chutes!!! Not sure about that but its a thought. I am amazed also at the top fuel drivers who only get the chutes out a football field or two past the finish line. I have seen many cars and drivers saved by getting the chutes out on time. You watch the pro stockers. Their chutes are out of the pack as they cross the finish line. It seems that in Scotts case the cause was a violent engine explosion, fire ext. that did not work, chutes that were either not deployed or did not work,
    a sand trap that was not long enough and with the wrong material in it, a net that was not strong enough, a concrete barrier right behind the net, and a piece of machinery parked behind the barrier. There are lots of things here that need some attention.

10. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

the 1320

I would hope the NHRA goes back to running the full distance by the U.S. nationals. Myself like racing the quarter mile on asphalt on my snowmobile but its get hairy the minute you lift of the gas at the end of the track. Shorting the distance may or may not saved Scott Kalitta,Eric Medlen or Darrel Russell life(may their souls rest in peace). At least the NHRA is taking some action.

11. SNAPPY

SNAPPY TAFC

1,000 Ft Would Be Great Less Of Everything
    Less Engine Damage
    Less Fuel
    Less Wear And Tear
    Less Runnaways With Longer Shitdowns
    Still An Awsome Show.

This Would Help All The Racers And Not Hurt Anyone. Fans/track/racers

What's The Down Side???
    Just Asking

12. matt bynum

matt bynum New Member

i think the crew cheifs are just going to shorten the wick on the cars and in a few races there just going to be blowing up at 800 foot

and does anyone know if NHRA changed the timer on the rev limiter to make it come in sooner??? or is it useless now because if i remeber correctly it starts to come in at 4 seconds

13. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Well according to Paul Page, we should go back to 1,300 feet...:D:D:D

14. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

1300 ft

According to Paul Page funny cars are turbocharged also!:rolleyes:

15. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

NHRA - Track Owners

I'm just wondering when All the safety upgrades are going to stop falling on our {the racers} shoulders. Anytime there is an accident it seems they come up with a new idea that costs alot of money. Dont get me wrong I'm not against safety things and I do what I have to, but when does it become NHRA or track owners responsibilty to give us Better shut down areas Maybe safer barriers. I'd like to see Them do something that costs them money to make our racing establishments safer. NHRA is making alot of money and we the racers are spending more all the time. Maybe its time They put back into the Sport. I still Love the sport and will continue to do what it takes to continue racing. Kevin Newburgh

16. scsp390

scsp390 New Member

Up to this date NHRA/IHRA nas never offerd to pay for any safety upgrades. Why should they?? They are providing an orginazation for us the drag racers to go out and compete in. They are not holding guns to our heads and making us do this. This is our DECISION!!!! Yes, we the racres do have to spend more money. You must agree with me when I say that with the recent death of Scott Kalitta there has been an NHRA Safety Task Force created. The group of indivudas on this committee are as first class as a committee can get. I can guarantee you that their ultimate goasl is not to drain (us racers) walletts-but create a much safer racing environement so we don't have to go through anything like we did with Scott Kalitta ever again!!!! Just remeber.. You can't put a price tag on one's head!!!

17. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Pageisms

Ya, and Big Daddy never drove a funny car...

Relative to the 1,000 foot racing, having 1-16 in FC be seperated by only a tenth is pretty cool...

18. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

I think espn should start reading this post and see all the s--t people are saying about that dummy PP. PP is wrecking our sport.:D

19. rick macedo racing

rick macedo racing New Member

Does anyone else feel sorry for Mike Dunn being trapped in the booth with him,at least we get a commercial break hes just stuck listening to what ever he mispronounces or goofs up.
    Rick

20. sportsman fan

sportsman fan New Member

Paul Page

I think this post should be renamed the B---h session about that lame duck PP.:D