$10,000 to win 'gambler' race at Sportsnationals?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

How about this one- note this is just an idea i had today, nothing official. haven't even talked to anyone about it.

How about a $10,000 to win 'Gambler' race at the Sportsnationals in TAD. $1,000 entry fee. 16 cars. True class racing. Blown vs. Blown, A/F vs. A/F

I know there is a significant amount of interest in the blown ranks for a race like this because of the parity issue. I know of a few a/f teams that would go for it, but i dont know if i could get 16. TAFC same boat.

With 16 cars at $1000 to enter, total purse would be $16000. Since this race would be a self funded race, all entry fees would go back in the payout. conversely, payout would have to be cut if less than 16. Payout based on only 16 cars could be:

Win $10,000
    R/U $2,500
    Semi $1750

at $1500 entry

Win $15,000
    R/U $4,000
    Semi $2500

What do you think. Need some feedback. See if i'm out in left field....

2. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I don't know if 16 guys would be interested in paying the 1000 dollar entry fee when they know only 4 or 5 cars stand much of a chance of winning. I like the idea of blown vs. blown and a-fuel vs. a-fuel and have them meet in the final. Maybe advertise it as the battle between nitro and blown. I think it has potential.

3. Will Hanna

Staff Member

just talked to pat joffrion, track owner at No Problem. they are open to the idea.

4. imjustafan

imjustafan New Member

Will- What are you doing??? Are you trying to turn the Alky cars into bracket cars. Your format sounds like the Million Dollar Bracket Race... This is a very bad idea...I hope that others see the harm this can do...If the owners start having to PAY TO RACE when the expense is already outrageous that will be the final nail in the coffin...

5. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Seems to me that it would be pretty easy to sell a free show likie this to any track operator.
    If the participants are paying the purse does the track get all the spectator money?
    You would have to at least be runner up to just break even. That is if you had no breakage!
    Don't think this will fly Will.
    If we are going to put a show of this caliber on we need to hire the track and promote the show.
    This is what happened a long time ago with the United Dragracers association at Tulsa. The greatest race I have ever participated in!!!
    Three classes only at that time. TF,FC,PS.
    25,000 to win in all classes with 32 car fields.
    There were over 100 entries in each class.

6. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

I've got to agree with imjustafan and Bob Holley on this one. I don't think it would be wise to promote a show where the alky cars had to pay to race. There is already a lot of expense in alky racing and to ask them to pay to race would be treating them like a bracket car. No ofense to bracket racers but they don't have near the expense the alky racers have. Just my .02 worth.

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

here's the way i see it.

alot of blown racers talked about this in indy this year. i have to credit foley with the idea. find a good track, and make an all blown 'gamblers' race. yes it has its roots in bracket racing, where people race for big money payouts. much of the money is at the top for these types of races. hence the name 'gambler' race.

then you have to deal with reality and money issues. the tracks that will pay good money for an alcohol show are tracks that don't get alcohol cars in for normal events. many of these tracks aren't where you would want to have such a shootout. the national event tracks where most of the racers would want to run a race like this already have a national event to draw a crowd, so such a race isn't very attractive. so to get a race like this, it has to be almost self funded. the above payout examples are entirely based off of self funding. its not to say we cant get the track to put some money into this. so no, this isn't a show to where everyone gets a chunk of the pie and breaks even. this is everyone shooting for a real nice payday.

so you take a look at the sportsnationals scenario. ok, no alky cars will be there. its not gonna happen. its a race where we need to be there. would be a great race to take a sponsor to, etc. the track is going to be great, and they are looking for a show. they throw a little money in the pot, get some racers to put up some money, and there you have it. much like the million dollar race, if you ask any of the guys that pay the $2000 entry, they didn't do it to break even.

the money and bragging rights from this race would be huge. and it's not to say this would be limited to just blown vs blown. if there was 16 a/fuelers that wanted to run a race like this, have at it, have the winners run in the final. same with tafc.

say what you want about parity and rules changes, but the fact remains, among the blown racers, most feel at a disadvantage. so there is the 'demand' for an event like this in that group. tafc for instance, doesnt have different combos, so all this would be to them is a chance to race for some big cash.

going back to the 'gambler' theme. it basically says i got $1000 that says i'm better than you.

as far as organizing and promoting, i have one 8 car match race already booked for next year that has a payout that takes care of all 8 cars. totally different situation.

basically its a good opportunity to have one of these races, if there are enough interested parties.

8. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Will,
    I am not trying to rain on your parade but since you are currently a promoter and aspire to do more it is my guess that you are receiving some moneatary benefit for your services. I am not knocking you for this as it seems that we need some promoting. With this idea it is like asking the actors of a play to cover the expenses and the ticket sales will go to someone else.
    The blown vs blown and a-fuel vs a-fuel with the two winners meeting is a good idea and could be advertised and promoted. However I have an idea that you might consider promoting.
    Go find a sponsor to cover the purse or at least 1/2 of it then sell the race to a good track owner that could easily cover the remaining pat of the purse and invite anyone in these classes to compete for the big bucks with no entry fee.
    I would bet there would be one hell of a turnout and some terrefic racing. All the track operator would have to do is advertise this great show and everyone would be a winner.

9. kbhemi

kbhemi Member

Will,
    Its nice to see ideas put on a public board like this - its tough though exposing yourself to a magnefying glass. I see what you're doing though an I like it. You make an offer thats almost too good to be true to a track operator and he will take it. Just as I think No Problem would (if good old NHRA don't get in the way). It also forces the masses to keep the top racers in the forefront as it should be. You are a sportsman class (the top of the sportsman) and should be there (and I know the money is the reason why you guys were not included, you have the highest payout per cars entered). Anyway, appreciate the candor and your efforts. If you guys ever want to venture to Kansas and race at a small town NHRA Div 5 1/4 mile track and have me put up part of a purse (maybe not half) - I would.
    You guys would be the Heroes, the John Forces and Larry Dixons of a small town dragstrip!
    Sorry for takin up space on your board!
    Wayne Roberts

10. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

Will,

You need to pay the bills for awhile and see if you still feel this way. I gamble every time my car goes down the track. I'm not willing to pay a track operator to let me play on his track.

Sorry dude, but I'm agreeing with the other guys.

Bad idea. Hope this one dies a fast death.

11. dmwells

dmwells New Member

I think the basic idea is ok but you should add a couple of things on the dragster side there should be a winner on the B/AD side and on the A/FD side then another payout for the winner of the match up of the two. Also as someone mentioned you/we should find a sponsor to throw in some cash for the payout,and as Wayne said ask the track to also through in some for some extra funding as they are the ones getting the show. That way everyone contributes. And yes these cars are expensive to run but look at the possibilities for a good payout and the promotion of the Alcohol cars. just my .02 Dave

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

the point i'm trying to make but i dont guess i'm getting across is that if you put track money with big entry fee money plus maybe some sponsor money you have one hell of a purse to race for.

also, i think the blown cars are the ones with the major motivation to race such an event.

just an idea.

13. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

If you can't take a big race like this and advertise the 3rd quickest and fastest class in all of drag racing and get enough spectators out to pay the purse it is a sad day. The problem is that the tracks are being courted with the idea of "no risk" shows. There are some out there who will book in a show but not very many. However it seems that promoting a race has been reduced to no risk.
    NHRA should have required all classes be represented as a condition for getting the race.
    Unless you are risking life and limb and your car
    in the alky class it must be hard to comprehend what it means to pay for the race!
    Dragracers for years have been exploited by sanctioning bodies. You know who they are!!!
    When pro racers have to fear for that their sponcers and potential sponcers will be prostilited by their own sanctioning body it is sad. As in NASCAR the sponsors should be directed to the race teams. I'm sure you can think of many other issues like this.
    There have been many attempts at forming racer associations some fairly successful some not. The reason for all attempts was because the ruleing bodies forgot forgot who puts on the show. I know many of you think the alky classes have no market value but I for one think that is wrong. What we have is no one willing to market us. Some might even say there are those who have a vested interest in seeing the alky classes not promoted.
    Just my 2-cents.

14. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Will, Sounds like the whole damm system is moving in the wrong direction. We are getting ready for our first season in TA/FC and I must say the handwriting on the wall looks a little grim! Pay for our own events and fund our own purse? Seems to me like this group has no professional guidence and direction. I don't want to be a bracket racer! Something is wrong with NHRA when the Super Stockers earn more cash than the fastest and most exciting cars in the sportsman division. Don't we have any input at all? Hate to think I'm spending a ton of cash on a class that is going backwards. HELP! :confused:

15. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Will, Sounds like the whole damm system is moving in the wrong direction. We are getting ready for our first season in TA/FC and I must say the handwriting on the wall looks a little grim! Pay for our own events and fund our own purse? Seems to me like this group has no professional guidence and direction. I don't want to be a bracket racer! Something is wrong with NHRA when the Super Stockers earn more cash than the fastest and most exciting cars in the sportsman division. Don't we have any input at all? Hate to think I'm spending a ton of cash on a class that is going backwards. HELP! :confused:

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

before this gets out of hand...

all this thread is an idea. its not a suggestion for the new way to run alky cars. its not saying alky cars shouldnt get paid to run shows. its not saying tad/tafc should be self supporting from now on. its just a discussion continued from indy among many blown alcohol dragster racers that wanted to do something like this because they want an opportunity to race blown on blown for some money at a good track. one time deal.

this is a race you enter to win, so the payout will reflect that.

[ December 15, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]