1/8 mile at divisionals? Would it help costs?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Here's one for the masses:

In general, if all divisional events were contested as 1/8 mile races for the alcohol categories would it help costs? Safety? More shutdown, etc. May even help TAD parity.

What's your thoughts?

2. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

I see some real possibilities here. Less insurance costs for one not mentioned.

There was lots of talk about 1,000 ft for the same reasons not too long ago.

It would also bring a lot more tracks to the playing field.

16 car fields again would be a very good thing considering the cost of fuel just to get there and back.

16 car fields bring in more spectators too.

16 car fields would bring out lots of people that want to race cars not pocket books.

16 car fields should be the topic of a new post how about it Will.

3. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

I don't know David, out here, many spectator's that I've spoken to are not going to San Antonio because they don't want 1/8th mile, in fact, this time, they are going to Baytown instead to get the whole kitten kaboodle.

It's an interesting concept, and as a driver, it's still fun.

Match racing this way is great fun.

Interesting idea though.

4. Will Hanna

Staff Member

1/8 mile

42,500 people at the ADRL 1/8 mile race in one day in Houston, and I was there to witness it.

On the other hand, at most divisionals, if we go to 1/8 mile are we going to lose the last 5 spectators we have? :rolleyes:

5. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

you can't compare a nhra divisional to an ADRL race. there isn't an alcohol funny car show around that can draw a crowd like a pro mod show. an 1/8 mile alky show won't give any different results. look at the big guys' 1/8th mile e.t.'s and compare them to everyone elses. same outcome as always, but you won't have the oil downs. which will make the higher ups happier.

6. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

I agree with you Will, how many of those tickets were comped by the racers?

I know one guy that did quite well who couldn't give enough of the ones he had away.

However, they made up money in concession and merch for the track.

Just a different perspective, that's all. I'm not disagreeing with you, just looking at both sides.

7. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

I said 16 car fields would bring more spectators and more cars.

I must admit that when I'm sitting in the stands that I perfer the topend to watch them thunder by. I can also see the cars move around on the track better and file that information away.

I think I could get my blown alcohol dragster to keep up with the A/Fuel cars in the 1/8 with out having to turn ridiculous parts breaking RPM.

Adding nitro to a blown alcohol dragster is not a viable option unless one has lots of money to blow. The class is called Top Alcohol Dragster. The best and only way to get parity is have the A/Fuel cars run A/Fuel cars and the TAD's run TAD's what a simple concept.

Hi Nancy We do keep track of what you are up to around here. As I personally admire what you have accomplished thus far. I am sooo tired of the Daddy I wanna be a race car driver people out there. Notice in the Dragsters they all run A/Fuel with daddy paid for pro teams. So you go girl the real racers are rooting for you and I'm not just speaking for myself here.

Melissa says Hi and to give us a call anytime you are back in the area.

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

I also know of alot of people here in SA that's not going because of the 1/8th mile deal, regardless I will be there to get my nitro fix (we couldn't get my friends IHRA nitro f/c ready in time :(), since the race in Houston is on the same date as the first track points race of the summer season at SA, so Houston is out of picture for me this year. Regardless even when SA was 1/4 mile it never had a big draw of people (no big names, like the NHRA). We had the first pinks all out race (sceduled to air sometime in July) of 08 this year (1/4 mile), and the turnout was incredible, 22,000 spectator tickets were sold, 420 car entries plus crew members, the 70 acres of parking on the spectator side at $5 per car was full, it made a IHRA national event look like an NHRA divisional.

9. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Our machines are made to run a quarter mile, and I'd like to see it stay that way. I wouldn't totally object to 1000 feet though, but I've raced 1/8 mile, and I didn't like it. From a fans perspective, there would be a lot less chance of lead changes, first one to leave would have even more of an advantage. I also think that the hitters would put an 1/8 mile fuse in their motors, so there could be just as much parts attrition.

10. SStar196CC

SStar196CC New Member

1/8th mile

TAD 776 you are correct if you have a sixteen car field it would attract a larger croud for the fact of price verses product. 30 dollars to watch 16 alcohol or injected cars, versus 32 alcohol o injected cars for 30 dollars, that just screams value. Bruce I have known you since I was in diapers, alcohol versus promods is no contest, but and I do mean but, you wont get the ET's of a alcohol car out of a promod. another thing, Bruce this is not directed towards you but most promod drivers are bracket racers with to much money. Kenneth, 1/8th mile vs 1/4 mile shouldn't mean a thing to spectators because most stands don't run farther then the 1/8th mile. Now Will I saw you at the Gators, I was so proud to be the only Roots Crew Chief to be aloud on the starting line on Sunday, yes Mickey Ferro wooped us, I run in D 2 and I have noticed that only D3 and D7 have a mass amount of cars at divisionals. This might be a nonfactor in many peoples eyes but 1/8th mile racing means that a roots car can beat a screw car any day of the week. This could attracked many of the IHRA alcohol funny cars. On the spectator end, I run alot of match races every year and fans dont car so much of how fast you run but more of how close the finish is. Just a little input from a little guy. No matter what something has to change, I would love to have input of what other Div pay for first round loser in Alcohol because D2 $600 is a major joke.
    Matt

11. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

c'mon matt, be nice:D. 3.80's and 3.70's are the normal 1/8th e.t.s from some of the adrl pro mods. you gota admit thats awesome from 2600 lbs with doors, although it manzo was running a c-rotor psi at 115 over, he would probably run some 5.20's

12. SICTOR

SICTOR hola amigos!

1/8 will be cool, just as long as the A/Fuel guys can run 100%. :eek:

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

adrl vs alky

bruce,

i'm going to agree with you and disagree with you.

1. yes, you can't compare the ADRL show with the NHRA Divisional format. the divisional makes it's money on the entry fees, so it's more of a procedural race, more like a bracket race than an entertainment venue show. ADRL has 4 heads up classes of racing that run one after another until it's done. if the divisional series wanted to become more of a spectator friendly show, the daily schedule would need to be reorganized to really pump up the fast cars on raceday.

2. i'm going to disagree with you that the alcohol funny cars, or alcohol cars in general don't have the fan draw capability of a pro mod.

now let me qualify my following statements before people start thinking I'm slamming pro mods and/or the adrl. I'M NOT. the ADRL has a good thing going, and Kenny and the investors that are backing that deal had the balls to go do it. the ADRL and Pro Mods are entertaining. they put on a good show. when I was at houston, they had fast, side by side racing, for the most part. but if you think that the reason why they pack the house is Pro Mods and Pro Mods alone, I think you're not in touch with reality.

there's no denying Pro Mod has their fans. there's also no denying alcohol cars have their fans too. truth be told, probably 80% or more are probably the same fan. pro mods have the wild paint jobs and nicknames the alky funny cars and dragsters of yesteryear had, but let's not forget the alcohol cars are quicker, faster and louder. and we got a/fuelers with big nitro flames in the evening. all the bs, press releases and website hype aside, that's what drag racing is all about, and that's why people pay big bucks to come watch national events.

i really hate making these comparisons, because i think if the "us" and "them" lines in the sand b/t alky and pro mod would quit being drawn, alky plus pro mod would make one hell of a show. that's if everyone's ego could be put aside for a minute.

let's not forget that when the ADRL started with the traditional spectator admission model, they didn't have anywhere near the huge crowds they have drawn over the past few years. the reason why they get the crowds is the MASSIVE ticket giveaways. I've heard they have go into a market like Houston and Dallas and put close to 500,000 free tickets on the street. so now the local mechanic with a family of 4 can afford to take the family and a few of his buddies to go check out big time drag racing, which he normally can't afford. i had buddies from college that don't normally go to the nationals, and trust me, they don't know the difference between a pro mod and a top fuel dragster, ask me if i was going to be racing at this race because they had scored some tickets.

i'm not knocking the adrl. this is really pure genius. they have an entertaining, good show, and with the free tickets, the fans leave the place feeling like they got a good value.

there was no doubt it was a different type of fan. these were not the same fans i saw going to the local 1/8 mile pro mod races i used to go and watch myself. let me put it this way. i was helping a guy on the end of a pit row, so there was a lot of foot traffic by the pit. we got more questions on if the fire bottles were nitrous or "NITRO's" as some put it, than pro mod specific questions. a few people even asked where Force was pitted. they honestly thought this was the nationals.

most people ask how the hell they are making the money. when you can pack a venue like HRP, the Motorplex, the Rock, etc., that has some serious marketing value. oh and by the way, you gotta pay for parking. $5 on the spectator side, or $20 to 'preferred' park in the pits. you could upgrade to 'super seats' which are top eliminator club seats for another $20. think about concessions, tshirt/souvenir sales. also, when you have that kind of crowd, you have a serious market for vendors. i think what they're really going for is to make their money off event and series sponsors.

so basically i think that anyone who thinks that if you plugged alky fc and/or dragster in the place of pro mods, with all the same level of promotions, just change classes there would be a drop in crowd size, is drinking a little bit too much pro mod kool aid.

the adrl is a great deal for the pro mod racers out there. kenny nowling is doing a good job. he has his heart and soul into it, and that's the way a real promoter is. kudos to him.

the problem isn't alky fc and/or dragster's fan draw abilities, the problem is in the lack of promotion, and how we're presented.

who wants to bet with me in 5 years, most of the wild pro mod schemes and nicknames will be mostly gone? i think there were 3 or 4 primered pro mods in gainesville just this weekend. most had a sponsor logo on the side....

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

back to the point

sorry i didn't elaborate on this earlier.

all of the arguments regarding the effect of 1/8 mile racing by the alcohol cars at divisionals is really a moot point unless there is a fundamental overhaul of the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series.

my point being, if it isn't going to be about the crowd, then would it help operating costs, coupled with safety benefits to switch to 1/8 mile racing at divisionals.

would people step on them any more, shortening the wick to speak, but i don't know how much more you can lean on them before detonation kicks in.

i realize parts are only part of the overall cost to run these cars. however, it has to extend some of the parts life.

all i'm saying if it's just going to be about the racer's money at the divisionals, why don't we do something to help our end of the money. they damn sure aren't going to pay us anymore. the only other way is to reduce expenses.

15. BLOWN INCOME

As A Racer It Would More Even The Playing Field . In 52 Years Of Racing Never Broke In 1/8 Mile , I Like It Better...alot Safer At Some Tracks . I Think More Racers Would Attend Because Of These Reasons...

16. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Will, I saw you posted on promodzone.com asking about the cost differance of switching back and forth between 1/8th and 1/4 mile and I had read this earlier so I decided to make my response here for you. We dont run 1/4 mile promod so I dont know the parts usage there but I can tell you what we do. 526 BAE Screw Blown with a 2 speed Lenco. 30 to 35 runs on a set of rods (launch 6500 and shift 9700), switch pistons every other set of rods and really only need a couple but we change the set, bearings sometimes last 4 to 5 races but we check after every event unless it is a two day event with 3 qualifys, valve springs usually last as long as a set of pistons but we check and do have a spring here and there that gets rotated from intake to exhaust, fresh cut floaters and discs every event (Before you say the ratio isnt the same we run a 1.44 low gear two speed), lenco clutches almost never, tires about 20-25 laps and I am sure there are things that I missed but it gives you the general idea of what it takes to run a similar setup as yours to the 1/8th mile. By the way, we have only windowed one block ever and we had 41 laps on the rods and had gone 45 before changing previous to that but the window was costly so we reduced it to 35 if we can get all 35 or 30 if the next event will put us over 35. Hope this helps and I agree that we have the same fans, except for the nitrous guru's.

17. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't see myself paying to see an 1/8 mile race! The ADRL race got 42,000 people simply because the tickets we're Free, and they printed up 600,000 of them! People will always love anything free! And based on some of the posts I've read about the ADRL race, I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that mess!

18. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

You've got to be kidding me, right?

To cut costs you need to shorten the trip to the track by 1/2, not the racing surface. $4.00+ a gallon for diesel along with everything else going through the roof.

We've run as quick as 3.64 to the 1/8th a few times. Might as well stay home. By the time you really get in to the race, it's over.

Part of racing is going fast AND making it live. Anyone can put it on wreck and make it 3-4 seconds. Wrong. I have a tune-up in a TAD sand dragster with the blower overdriven quite substantially. They run 300 feet. Trust me when I say "Shortening up the race will only shorten up the wick or fuse on the tune-up." They can still go ka-boom.

It won't be any cheaper because plane tickets, diesel, entry fees, payouts, truck payments, hotels and food will not be effected by the length of the drag strip.

RG

19. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I never understood the 1/8th mile race. Drag racing has always been 1/4 mile races. I get all the cheaper for this cheaper for that stuff but it just becomes less interesting. The big speed at the top end is one of the selling points. Why not make it 60 foot races that will make it even cheaper. I bet people would line up to watch that. In my opinion there is nothing more stupid than making the race even shorter.

20. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Take it one step further. Just take it to a car show or cruise night. You don't even need to buy a drum of alky. Been there, done that.