1/4 valve cover nuts

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flyboy68, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Anyone know where to find 1/4-20 (fine thread) nuts that take a 1/2" socket? We have a few and they have the washer built on the nut. Work great for our valve covers. I've searched the web and can't find them! :mad:

Josh

2. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

They are called a flange nut - you should be able to get em through any fastener supply house.....Lawson, Serv-O-lite, etc. - most I have seen are serrated on the bottom....and I like the smooth style....so if you can find smooth, great....if not a touch to the belt sander fixes them....BTW - 1/4-28 should take a 7/16" socket..

3. QPM

QPM New Member

1/4" fine nuts with half inch socket

We have these on our funny car and they came from McMaster-carr. My brother's boss ordered them, they are black oxided and there is a groove between the flange and the nut. He didnt realize that is what he was ordering but they worked out nicely. We just had to weld a new socket on the end of the t-handle.

The following is from the mcmaster carr website (the number before the price is the part number):

Flange Hex Nuts
    A thick, nonmarring flange adds clamping strength to these hefty one-piece nuts. Also called collar nuts, inch sizes have a Class 2B thread fit, metric sizes have a Class 6H thread fit.
    For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.
    Flange
    Thread
    Size Width O'all Ht. Dia. Ht. Each
    Inch Sizes Black-Oxide Case-Hardened Steel
    1/4"-28 1/2" 5/16" 5/8" 3/32" 91030A420 $1.85

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

If you can't find them let me know we buy them by the 1,000 we use them in the shop for several thing we build they also call them wiz nuts...Dave

5. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. QPM, I think those are it! I could find flange nuts all day, but finding a 1/4" nut w/ the big head (1/2") was the problem. Appreciate it...

Josh