m5 alcohol

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by thunderstruck59, Feb 5, 2010.

1. thunderstruck59

thunderstruck59 New Member

m5 alcohol and engine damage

has anybody used the new vp m5 alcohol. i understand there is some nitro in the fuel.whats your opinion on that fuel and has anybody had premature engine damage because of it. i talked to few of the engine builders out there and they told me beware!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

There is no nitro in M5. There is an oxidizer to release more O2 but no nitro. Works well buts smells weird. If you use it you need to enrichen you tuneup and backoff some on your timing.

3. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

There is Nitroparafins in it, very similar, i am a VP Dist, great fuel, it makes more power than I can hold currently on the true 10.5's. Picked up our bracket car 1 tenth 1/8 mile. Smells like sulfar when it burns. I plan on running it some this summer when the hot weather hits. Its BAD TO THE BONE!

4. sears355w

sears355w New Member

I ran M-5 last year and it does make more power.The only down side we seen was that it was not as consistant as regular alky.

5. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Has anyone out there used M-5 long enough to know how it holds up in the drum? I assume a sealed drum does ok but since its a blended fuel I am curious how well it holds up after the drum is part full?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

6. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

not sure

to be honest it doesnt stay around long enough for me to ever check..lol

7. partel

partel New Member

Casual terminology can be confusing.

"Paraffin" is a generic family name, like "alcohol", it refers to alkanes, formula Cn-H(2n+2)

Paraffins are for example methane (CH4, also natural gas, LNG), propane (C3H8, petroleum gas, LPG), butane (C4H10, LPG), octane (C8H18) up to candle wax.

Nitroparaffins have one hydrogen atom replaced by NO2. So nitromethane is also a nitroparaffin (CH3NO2), as are nitroethane and nitropropane (in M5 fuel).

Not trying to play a Nobel prize winner, just you might find it funny, when someone says about E85 that it does not contain methanol, but alcohol, which is different! :)

Re M5, we had some 10% more fuel, smell was different and plugs "oilier/dirtier".

8. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

What is the specific gravity of M5 @ 60° ?

9. mark6052

mark6052 Member

vps m-5 gravity is .816 compared to m-1 regular methonal is .795 the bigger difference is the reed pressure, vapoises m-1 is 4.60 the m-5 is 7.66 should make more power but as anything you need to beable to tune your car. no disrespect intended.

10. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

How does reed pressure effect motor performance? Please educate us:)