Meyer Defeats Reigning TAD Champion for Gatornationals Victory

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Mar 18, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Meyer Defeats Reigning TAD Champion for Gatornationals Victory

March 18th, 2015 - Kansas-based Top Alcohol Dragster team Randy Meyer Racing traveled south to Gainesville, Florida for the 46th annual NHRA Gatornationals as their first stop on their 2015 tour. With no prior testing before the event, the team had an exceptional weekend to dominate the field and take home the Wally.

Driver and tuner, Randy Meyer, laid down a 5.35 ET at 267 mph for the first qualifying session on Friday at Auto-Plus Raceway in Gainesville, Florida, as his very first pass down the quarter-mile track for the beginning of the year. He followed it up with a 5.29 ET at 271 mph during the second qualifying run, and an improved 5.28 ET at 274 mph for the third and final qualifier, placing him fourth in the 16-car field.

First round eliminations saw Randy overthrow 13th qualifier, Paul Fishburn, with a 5.32 ET at 271 mph Sunday morning, followed by a 5.31 ET at 275 mph to defeat Rich McPhillips in the second round.

A semi-final victory over Jackie Fricke with a 5.30 ET at 275 by Randy placed him in the final round against reigning Top Alcohol Dragster champion Chris Demke. The two launched off the starting line with similar reaction times, and were together down the track until Randy pulled away, and took the event win with an aggressive 5.21 ET at 277 mph to Demke’s 5.33 ET at 276 mph.

“There was an edge and we took it,” said Randy. “We put it all on the line and it paid off. After a long hard winter it was great to be able to see the sunshine, and get off to a good start for the year.“

“The car ran good and the crew did a great job. I am very proud of my family and my team. It was a bonus in the finals to beat Demke, they have a great car and that’s why they carry the number 1. We are all looking forward to a great outing at our next race in Charlotte.”

After a victorious weekend, the team wasn’t done racing as Randy’s oldest daughter, Megan Meyer, hopped in the driver’s seat of the A/Fuel Dragster to complete her Top Alcohol Dragster license. With a half-track pass, a 1000-foot pass of 5.36 ET at 231 mph, and a quarter-mile pass of 5.29 ET at 264 mph, she was able to successfully get approved to license with NHRA.

“It is a dream come true,” said Megan. “I was so thrilled to know that I was earning my license after we were done testing. I have been waiting for this moment all my life and it is finally here. I cannot wait to continue training this year, and compete full-time next year.”

“I would like to give a huge thank you to my parents and sister for their support and believing in me, and my uncle Rich and the Lindberg Brothers Team for helping us with the car on Monday, as well as Dave Hirata for signing off on the passes. I am very grateful for those who have been there for me throughout the years from when I first started training at Gainesville two years ago. We have an amazing team made up of family members and close friends who know how to make our hotrod one of the best in the field.”

You can find Randy in the winner’s circle on ESPN2 at 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM ET on March 28th.

The next stop for the Randy Meyer Racing Team is March 27-29 at zMAX Dragway in Charlotte, NC for the 4-Wide Nationals.

The Randy Meyer Racing Team would like to thank its other partners on board for the 2015 season: Lucas Oil, Smart Chicken, NGK Spark Plugs, GUNK, Quik-Latch Products, Boninfante, Taylor Cable, ARP, Aeromotive Fuel Systems, MAHLE Clevite, Hedman Hedders, Moroso, and Aeroquip.

Follow us on Facebook (/RandyMeyerRacing, /MeganMeyer.Racing), Twitter (@MeyerSisters), and YouTube (Randy Meyer Racing)