Demke Caps Off Championship Season at 50th Auto Club Finals, NHRA Awards Banquets

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Nov 19, 2014.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Demke Caps Off Championship Season at 50th Auto Club Finals, NHRA Awards Banquets

POMONA, Calif. (November 19, 2014) – While Chris Demke didn't bookend his dream season with a win at the Auto Club NHRA Finals, he did accomplish a few goals set for the season finale. Demke and his Peen Rite Top Alcohol Dragster team celebrated their national championship with family and friends, drummed up interest in their spare 'For Rent' dragster, and enjoyed some success, qualifying No. 3 and reaching the semifinals. It was a fitting end to a monumental season for the fun-loving, hardworking Maddern Racing team.

“It certainly went well but it didn't end like we hoped it would,” Demke said of the Finals. “We received numerous inquiries about driving this car next year, which was our goal. While we haven't signed any deals, we talked with numerous players. Performance-wise, the car ran a few twenties. I think there's more left in it, we're just creeping up on it. The chassis is still plenty competitive, as competitive as the championship car.”

Demke was driving a car the team retired in 2012 and recently refurbished for possible use next season. A 5.277 lap in the opening qualifying session put Demke in the third spot going into eliminations. The Peen Rite/OSI/Boost Performance Products dragster ran a pair of 5.29s to defeat fellow blown alcohol drivers Ross Stickler and Mark Taliaferro. Chris encountered trouble on the semifinal, though, where he fell to A/Fuel rookie Cameron Ferre, who ran low ET and top speed of eliminations.

“The car washed out at the launch and started heading for the center line. I tried to correct it but it was already too far out of the groove for me to recover completely. I gave it a couple good tugs on the steering wheel and it went towards the wall. It was at that point that I lifted my foot off the throttle and coasted to the finish. I didn't need to smash up this car. I gotta hand it to Cameron Ferre and his crew chief, Larry Miersch. They ran that incredible 5.25. Even if our car went straight, I don't think we would have won. My hat's off to them for bringing their best to the table for that semifinal,” Demke admitted.

Always with a positive outlook, Demke pointed out the highlights of the weekend, which was capped off on Monday evening with the NHRA Lucas Oil Series and Mello Yello Series awards banquets in Los Angeles.

“It was great to see so many friends and fans at the track. The stands seemed full all four days. The weather was great all weekend. It was a nice ending to the season. The banquet was wonderful, to be there with Steve Harker and the other Lucas Oil national champions. Forrest, Charlotte and Morgan Lucas were there representing Lucas Oil. It was nice to have a venue to thank our crew and celebrate our championship.”

Our team has been racing for over twenty years now. We weren't always expecting to win a championship, but our performance levels in recent years have proven that we're championship contenders. Finishing second three of the last four years was proof that we were close. I don't want to say it was a long time coming, and I wasn't expecting it, but it certainly felt wonderful to prove that we were a championship caliber team.

Demke and his Maddern Racing teammates proved their abilities in a big way this season, winning five national events including the 60th Annual U.S. Nationals. Two national wins happened in the same weekend at Reading, where the national championship was also decided. Demke also claimed the West Region championship, thanks to four consecutive regional event wins. Additionally, the Peen Rite dragster finishes the 2014 season as the fastest blown alcohol dragster ever at 277.94 MPH, set on the trifecta weekend at Reading.

“Winning the regional championship was cool. It wasn't our goal, but I think it was the result of our strategy for the national championship run. Winning Indy was wonderful. I'm thrilled to have won it and received a ring at the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Nationals, but you know what? Someone wins Indy every year. The weekend in Reading, where we secured the championship, won the Charlotte make-up race, and then won Reading – that was a once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't have words to describe what that weekend was like. When I think of that weekend, I also don't know which part to celebrate. It's too immense to think of what we accomplished that weekend. On top of that, Steve Harker did it in Top Alcohol Funny Car. The stars and moon were certainly aligned,” Chris said.

Chris Demke praised his Peen Rite/Operational Solutions/Boost Performance Products team and their sponsors for their efforts this season.

“This season wouldn't have been possible without the hard work and dedication from my team: Jerry, Dixie and Aimee Maddern, Mike Demke, Kevin Watson, Adam Rhoades, Robert Hadaller, and Greg Rice. I also want to thank Bill Swanson of Peen Rite, Brent Gines of Boost Performance Products, Kent Goss from Operational Solutions Inc., and Brent Winberg from CleanBoost Oils. Individual companies who helped this year were Hoosier Tire, B-G Detection, Abrasive Finishing Company, LA X-Ray, Boninfante Friction Surfaces, Brad Anderson Enterprises, and Morningwood Energy Drink.”

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Operational Solutions/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Operational Solutions Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Jet-Lube, and Morningwood Energy Drink.