TAD's Chris Demke Enters U.S. Nationals as Defending Event Champion

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Sep 2, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

TAD's Chris Demke Enters U.S. Nationals at Defending Event Champion

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (September 2, 2015) – Top Alcohol Dragster national points leader Chris Demke enters the prestigious 61st Annual Chevrolet Performance NHRA U.S. Nationals as the defending event and world champion, but he isn't overly confident heading into the sport's most storied race. Demke's performance at his last two races in Seattle provided a reminder that no matter the number on the wing or amount of Wallys in the trophy case, anything can happen when it comes to 3,500-horsepower racecars.

“It was a shock,” Demke said of a first-round loss at the NHRA Northwest Nationals last month. “It was a round we should have won, but we swapped engines after the last round of qualifying and a small bolt didn't get tightened in assembly. It didn't show up in the warm-up, but it certainly got our attention at the one-two shift when it shut the car off. The only thing damaged was our team's ego.”

Demke and his Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products teammates rebounded at the Seattle NHRA regional race a couple weeks later when the California native grabbed a holeshot win over Garrett Bateman in a 5.294-to-5.294 final-round decision.

“We knew we had to win that race to get any points out of it. Mission accomplished.

“That race was way harder than I expected. After seeing the performance of the west coast alcohol dragsters at the Woodburn regional, I thought, 'These guys have lost it.' As it turned out, not one round of eliminations was a gimme. Every one of those teams who raced us swung for the fences and connected. If it hadn't been for a total team effort on the Maddern Racing end, the results may not have been as they were,” Demke noted.

After a thorough freshening, the Peen Rite blown alcohol dragster has made its way to Lucas Oil Raceway near Indianapolis for “The Big Go”, the U.S. Nationals. Demke won the 60th running of the race last year, and reached the final round in 2013. Maddern Racing also won Indy in 1998 with Darren Nicholson driving.

“Indy is a huge race. Everybody who matters is going to be there and then some. This race has huge points implications towards the championship, but I'm just trying to treat this as another race. I want to enjoy what Indy is, and it's a huge celebration of drag racing,” Demke said.

With 24 Top Alcohol Dragsters entered for the U.S. Nationals , including eight other top 10 drivers in national points, there will be no room for mistakes.

“This race is not going to be easy by any means. The best of the best will be there. We'll just go there and give it our best. Based on how things have gone this year, if we can make it past first round, I'm confident we'll do well. My team knows how to go rounds, and I have every bit of confidence in them. We'll put our best effort forward, because every round matters from here until the World Finals at Pomona.”

Chris Demke and the Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products Top Alcohol Dragster team will have four chances to qualify for the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals at Lucas Oil Raceway, Sept. 2-7. Qualifying sessions are scheduled for 1:45 and 4:45 PM on Friday, 12:30 PM on Saturday, and 9:45 AM on Sunday. First round of eliminations will take place at 5:45 PM Sunday evening. Eliminations continue on Labor Day Monday after first round of NHRA Mello Yello Series competition.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, and Morningwood Energy Drink.