Demke Seeking First and Potentially Last Kansas Nationals Win

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 21, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Demke Seeking First and Potentially Last Kansas Nationals Win

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 21, 2015) – NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster national points leader Chris Demke and his Peen Rite team are kicking off their 2015 Midwest tour this weekend at the NHRA Kansas Nationals in Topeka. The four-time Topeka finalist is seeking his elusive first Kansas Nationals Wally, and with Heartland Park Topeka's future in jeopardy, this might be his last chance.

“[Tuner] Adam Rhoades texted me a couple weeks before the race and said, 'Looks like this could be the end of the Topeka event, we're gonna have to win it,' so we've got our marching orders. I've been to the finals here plenty of times, but I've yet to win the national event. We went to the regional event for the first time last year and won. We know how to win at this track. We just haven't been able to put together the four runs necessary to win the Kansas Nationals,” Demke admitted.

Even though the Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products team is more than capable of stringing together win lights in the hot, humid conditions Topeka is known for, they thrive in cool weather where every bit of performance can be squeezed out of the Jerry Maddern-owned entry. A quick look at the forecast shows the possibility for ideal conditions is there.

“Our team has been going to Topeka as long ago as 1999 with Darren Nicholson driving,” said Demke, who served as a Maddern Racing crew member at the time. “That's the only year I can remember being there and the weather being under 80 degrees. It looks like this weekend promises some excellent weather conditions and fast air densities. The track surface is great, it just never has good weather to support quick elapsed times. I'm looking forward to racing at this facility with good weather conducive to quick ets and fast speeds. It might be a fitting farewell to Heartland Park Topeka.”

With an 18-car entry list, made up primarily of nitro-injected A/Fuel dragsters, Demke won't have it easy. He especially has his eye on A/Fuel veteran Randy Meyer, the local favorite who defeated Team Peen Rite in the Gatornationals final round earlier this year.

“There are going to be plenty of fast cars there, but Randy Meyer is at the top of that list and we'll keep him firmly in our cross-hairs. He scares me outside of the car when we're standing side by side, but he doesn't scare me when we're both strapped in,” Demke laughed, referencing the obvious size difference between the two drivers.

The Kansas Nationals mark the end of a month-long break for Demke and the Maddern Racing team. Following the Topeka event, Demke plans to attend the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio and the Route 66 Nationals and JEGS Allstars event near Chicago.

Top Alcohol Dragster competition at the NHRA Kansas Nationals, May 22-24, begins on Friday with qualifying sessions around 3:30 and 6:30 PM CST. The action continues with final qualifying at 11:15 AM and first round of eliminations at 3 PM on Saturday. Eliminations conclude on Sunday and will air on ESPN2 on Sunday, May 31st at 11 AM EST.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, and Morningwood Energy Drink.