Demke Heads to Gainesville with Third Gatornationals Victory in Mind

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Mar 11, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Demke Heads to Gainesville with Third Gatornationals Victory in Mind

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (March 11) – Chris Demke and the Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products Top Alcohol Dragster team have headed east in search of their third NHRA Gatornationals victory. The California-based group is eager to add another thrilling chapter to their Gainesville history book, but Mother Nature and a field of east coast competitors won't make it easy.

Demke, the defending NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster national champion, is off to a strong start in 2015, having won the season-opening Winternationals in Pomona and reaching the final round at the Phoenix regional event, all while bringing on an additional experimental team car. Maddern Racing is back to running as a one-car team this weekend, though the powerful motor from the “X” car is back in Demke's car, ready to rip off low-5.2 elapsed times at over 270 miles per hour.

“Our team generally does very good at the Gatornationals. We won twice in our last three Gatornationals appearances. Last year was kind of a mess in that that's when we were going through some clutch issues that were hurting parts. Now that we've got that behind us, I look forward to going there and running some very quick times. We've got the engine combination back in the car that was in the car at Maple Grove last year, ready to improve upon that performance,” Demke said, referencing the 5.21/277 MPH run he recorded last fall.

Though the team has the equipment in place, the conditions probably won't be conducive. Rain is predicted throughout the weekend, so making a clean run to qualify is the first priority.

“We get the one run on Friday. When the weather becomes an issue you try to push the envelope as far as possible but you also keep in mind that if you only get one shot you have to get it in the show. You kind of have to go up there to see how fast you can go but obviously you don't want to be over-center. If we can be in the top five after Q1 I would be very happy about that. Then if we get another shot at it that's just bonus time to pour the coals to it and see where we're at,” explained Maddern Racing tuner Adam Rhoades.

The Gatornationals is an especially important race for Rhoades, whose dad, Walt Rhoades, won the Gatornationals twice as a driver.

“This race has always had a special place in my heart because I was able to watch my dad win it in 1987 and he actually won it in 1971 in the Freight Train Top Gas car. We won it in 2011 and that was the 40th anniversary of his first win here so that made it even more special. Then we came back the next year and went back-to-back. It just gives me goosebumps talking about it,” Rhoades added.

Top Alcohol Dragster action at the NHRA Gatornationals, March 12-15 at Auto-Plus Raceway, kicks off with one qualifying session at 11:30 AM on Friday. Due to a threatening rain forecast, two qualifying sessions are set for 10:30 AM and 5:30 PM on Saturday, while first round of eliminations has been pushed to Sunday morning at 9 AM.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, Ron Mann and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, and Morningwood Energy Drink.