Dyno Dave Heitzman Indy Preview

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by RiverQueen, Jul 19, 2007.

1. RiverQueen

RiverQueen Moderator

Paying Your Dues

[​IMG]

“What do you know about stock car racing?” “Well, I’ve watched it on television, of course. ESPN, the coverage is excellent. You’d be surprised at how much you can pick up.” These infamous lines from Days of Thunder are exactly what Dyno Dave Heitzman has in mind as he attacks his Top Alcohol Dragster career.

Since he first sat in the seat of his Evan Knoll owned A-fuel dragster one year ago, Dyno Dave has been paying his dues. That journey continued last weekend when Heitzman failed to make the 8-car field in the Lucas Oil Divisional Series event in St. Louis. This hasn’t made him want to back down and cut his losses though, it has only made him more hungry for the winner’s circle.

“I have been around racing for as long as I can remember. And whether it is ATVs, motorcycles, or dragsters I know that the best way to learn is to pay attention to the competition. I am up against guys who have over 1,000 runs on their cars. This is only our second year. The only way to catch up is to pay attention to what they are doing. In everything I have done so far in my racing career I have picked out someone to model myself after. In motorcycles it was Dave Shultz, now I have my eyes on Reichert. You are never going to be the best until you can beat the best. And the only way to do that is to watch what they do and make it work for you,” said Dyno.

The Team, sponsored by Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels, has been working hard over the last few months and with each race they become more comfortable with each other and their duties on the racecar. With everything apparently coming together for the operation, their first win of the season is just around the corner.

“I can’t say enough about this Team. They are all getting so good at their jobs and that is giving me more time to work on the tune-up. Like just about every crew chief I know, the more time I can stare at the computer and watch our car go down the track the more I learn. The more I learn, the closer we will be to running with the best. And as I sit here in my chair I can’t help but think about all the things me and my buddy talked about trying. Some of them haven’t worked, but damn I can’t wait for the ones that do. Thanks to Evan, we have all the parts we need, now it is just a matter of putting them all in the right place and getting this car in the winner’s circle.”

For their next race, the Team, based out of Brownsburg, will head over to their home track, O’Reilly Raceway Park for the divisional event this weekend. Qualifying will begin on Friday at 4 PM. It will continue on Saturday at 1 PM and 4:30 PM. Final eliminations will be held on Sunday beginning at noon and continuing throughout the day. For up to date coverage of the event please log onto www.dragracecentral.com.

Quick Facts

• Dyno earned two wins in his first season behind the wheel of the A-fuel dragster last year.
    • The Team, owned by Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels, finished in the Top 20 in the National points standings last year running a limited schedule.
    • His racing career began 24 years ago, with ATVs before moving on to Pro Mod Motorcycles and eventually dragsters.
    • Heitzman is employed by Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels and resides in Decatur, Michigan, the company’s corporate headquarters.

Dyno Dave’s A-Fuel dragster is owned by TORCO Racing Fuels. By logging onto www.torcoracefuels.com you can access their full line of innovative products including racing gasoline, additives, and Skull Gear.

Submitted by: Shanna Snyder-Bell

Contact person: Dave Heitzman
    Contact email address: torcodyno@yahoo.com